Despite notice, Manchester Water Works says bacteria level is safe
“All this notification stuff is confusing people more than anything else,” he said. “The (EPA) standard for public notification is screwy, it’s flawed.”
Paris said officials at Water Works continue to field questions about the notice. So does the New Hampshire Union Leader.
But he stressed that the bacteria is plentiful in the natural environment and not harmful.
Paris said he could have opted to send out the notice to all customers in August, but he decided to include it in the 90-day billing cycle, saving about $6,000 in postage.
Sarah Pillsbury, who oversees drinking water programs at the Department of Environmental Services, said the EPA allows states to adopt the rule ahead of schedule, and New Hampshire could have a new rule on the books in early 2015.
“If we want to run the Safe Water Drinking Act out of New Hampshire instead of Washington, D.C.,” Pillsbury said, “we have to agree to do certain things.”
READER COMMENTS: 8
- Fetal homicide: A compromise at last? - 4
- Freedom & discovery: A mathematician gets noticed - 0
- Preventing Newtown: Background checks won’t - 29
- Taunting taxpayers: Manchester teachers union won’t budge - 35
- Insurance choices: Shaheen, Shea-Porter, Kuster mislead - 19
- Looking for Abigail: Public can help find her - 3
- Riding lessons: DRED improves horse rules - 5
- Pray for safety: The state did not provide it - 15
- Big league gambling: AG makes right call on casinos - 8
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester's O'Neill, Lebanon's Morrill form UNH's 'Granite Wall' - 0
- Stretch of I-293 North and South closed after propane tank crashes - 1
- $13m contract recommended for next phase of Nashua parkway - 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Proposed article sets rules for use of temporary signs - 0
- Newsreel: State unemployment stable; Gates Foundation CEO named; generic Viagra out soon - 0
- Leclerc takes second place in men's hockey - 0
- Trinity-Central game pushed to tonight - 0
- Derryfield's Hyde, Faulkner star in ski relays - 0
Shaheen, Ayotte split on House budget plan