Thomas Sowell: Who shut down the government?
This is not a matter of opinion. You can check the Congressional Record.
But the whole point of having a division of powers within the federal government is that each branch can decide independently what it wants to do or not do, regardless of what the other branches do, when exercising the powers specifically granted to that branch by the Constitution.
Perhaps the biggest of the big lies is that the government will not be able to pay what it owes on the national debt, creating a danger of default. Tax money keeps coming into the Treasury during the shutdown, and it vastly exceeds the interest that has to be paid on the national debt.
None of this is rocket science. But unless the Republicans get their side of the story out — and articulation has never been their strong suit — the lies will win. More important, the whole country will lose.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester schools cut classes short for Wednesday due to weather - 2
- Manchester school board OK's contract for driver’s ed program - 1
- Enrollments declining in Hudson, but school budget increases still expected - 0
- New NHIA president painting a picture of expansion - 0
- Former White House Chief of Staff Andy Card to be president of Franklin Pierce College - 3
- Students prepare to set sail at Tri-City Christian Academy - 0
- Local teacher makes trip to arctic - 0
- Teacher 'thrilled' at being reinstated - 7
- Scholar of the Month: Plymouth junior operates on 'full-sprint theory' - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Henniker police shoot suspect in truck heist - 0
- More than 200,000 New Hampshire customers without power - 0
- Thanksgiving travel a nightmare as storm dumps heavy, wet snow - 3
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Pats put selves in strong position - 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl will go as scheduled - 0
- Red Sox think they got free agent signings right this time - 0
- Turkey Bowls: Passion always on the menu - 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl: Crusaders aim to rewrite history - 0
- Dave Solomon's Power Plays: Who knew what and when in PSNH scrubber case? - 0
Person found dead in Manchester alley
On being American: A point for reflection
Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket
NH suffers 4th worst outage on record