Dec 4, 2014
Oct 30, 2014
Oct 2, 2014
Sep 25, 2014
2 years later, Nashua pair charged in 1988 murders still have not been extradited to U.S.
Although the Quebec Court of Appeal previously ordered that David Caplin, 51, be returned to the Granite State to face two counts of first-degree murder, Caplin is now taking his appeal to a higher court, according to the state Attorney General’s Office.
Caplin has remained in a Canadian prison since his arrest more than two years ago. Caplin’s alleged accomplice, Anthony Barnaby, 45, was recently released from custody after the same Quebec Court of Appeal ordered that he will not be extradited back to New Hampshire because he previously stood trial for the murders on three separate occasions, according to the court’s ruling, which also stated that new DNA evidence did not directly link Barnaby to the crime scene.
“Canadian prosecutors are considering whether to appeal,” she said of the ruling on Barnaby’s extradition.
Police arrested the two men — both Micmac Indians who grew up together on the Restigouche Reservation in the Canadian Province of Quebec — more than two years ago for the 1988 murders of same-sex couple Brenda Warner and Charlene Ranstrom who lived together at 7 Mason St.
After the case was reopened, several hair samples and a bloodied sock were submitted for new DNA testing, and two years ago, the New Hampshire State Police forensic laboratory determined Caplin’s hair was found at the crime scene where the two women were found beaten and stabbed to death, according to authorities.
Still, Rundles said she is hopeful both men will eventually be extradited to New Hampshire to face trial for the two brutal murders.
Both men, Barnaby and Caplin, were suspects in the double homicide. Barnaby was tried three times on murder charges against the two Nashua women, but the highly publicized trials all ended in mistrials when the juries could not reach unanimous verdicts.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Police look for Laconia sub shop robber - 0
- Claremont man indicted on two charges of arson - 0
- Police hunt pair they believe attacked couple at Rochester motel - 0
- Phone evidence likely allowed in Hampstead home invasion trial - 0
- Grand jury indicts one of three men accused in murder of Madbury teen - 0
- Piano teacher wants statement tossed before sex assault trial - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: The fiscal mismanagement in Washington is a choice - 26
- 'Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus' - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads
- Whom do you think bears the brunt of the blame for the mayhem this weekend in Keene?
- KSC students
- KSC administration
- Visitors from out of town
- A combination of any/all of the above
- Total Votes: 2483