Lebanon project aims to honor city’s Civil War veterans
As a member of the Memorial Building Committee and secretary of the Lebanon Historical Society, Hanchett discovered in 2009 that there were more Civil War veterans buried in the city cemeteries than were known about.
The newly discovered veterans were honored at the city’s Memorial Day observance this year and about two months ago Hanchett began fundraising to purchase five gravestones for the unmarked graves.
The “Adopt a Civil War Solider” fundraiser was so successful she was encouraged to keep fundraising to ensure all 96 veterans’ gravesites acknowledge their service with federal Civil War markers.
“Whatever we get collected this winter, in the spring when the stones are all set there will be a ceremony dedicating the stones that we have placed so far,” she said. “I believe that if someone was in service, in the military, I think they ought to be recognized for it.”
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Restaurant owner to share la dolce vita - 1
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: How will he top the Twinkie auction for Santa Fund? - 2
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Farnum Center: Blight to bright - 1
- Scene in Manchester: Dressing for success (and to help save lives) - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Something to cheer about - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Mom's outlook puts everything in perspective - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Tech lovers can't give these glasses a pass - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Stache Dash to raise cash - 2
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Boutiques transform a city block - 0
- Propane truck overturns on Bow side street - 0
- NH makes tort reform group's 'Judicial Hellholes' list - 4
- Manchester's O'Neill, Lebanon's Morrill form UNH's 'Granite Wall' - 0
- UPDATE: Stretch of I-293 South, North lanes reopen after propane tanker crashes - 1
- $13m contract recommended for next phase of Nashua parkway - 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Proposed article sets rules for use of temporary signs - 0
- Newsreel: State unemployment stable; Gates Foundation CEO named; generic Viagra out soon - 0
- Leclerc takes second place in men's hockey - 0