Lebanon project aims to honor city’s Civil War veterans
As a member of the Memorial Building Committee and secretary of the Lebanon Historical Society, Hanchett discovered in 2009 that there were more Civil War veterans buried in the city cemeteries than were known about.
The newly discovered veterans were honored at the city’s Memorial Day observance this year and about two months ago Hanchett began fundraising to purchase five gravestones for the unmarked graves.
The “Adopt a Civil War Solider” fundraiser was so successful she was encouraged to keep fundraising to ensure all 96 veterans’ gravesites acknowledge their service with federal Civil War markers.
“Whatever we get collected this winter, in the spring when the stones are all set there will be a ceremony dedicating the stones that we have placed so far,” she said. “I believe that if someone was in service, in the military, I think they ought to be recognized for it.”
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Creating a place of honor for servicemen lost of sea - 0
- NH Veterans Briefs: Help sought to place cemetery wreaths - 0
- Mason man pens book on veterans - 0
- Non-profit receives grant to get veterans on the move - 0
- Housing vouchers are available for veterans - 0
- Bedford Women's Club to recognize veteran - 0
- Students, veterans will be recognized for making state tree decorations - 0
- NH Veterans Briefs: Sweeney Post events - 0
- Commentary- Mary Tamposi: Let's bring an end to homelessness among veterans - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pinkerton community excited about relationship with Google - 0
- OKC outguns Bonner, Spurs - 0
- Schaller sent back to minors - 0
- Mount Sunapee plan opponents want more hearings - 0
- Former Colonial Theatre finance director indicted - 0
- Circut Court Judge refuses to recuse himself from hearings - 0
- Pipeline push gets a second wind - 0
- Newbies welcome on NH slopes - 0
- Troy welfare officer indicted for misusing town’s money - 0
Murder suspect fit for trial?
'Interview' buzz spreads to NH
Pipeline push gets a second wind
Win tickets to see Linkin Park