NH College Notebook: St. Anselm, SNHU to battle in nationally televised game
The St. Anselm College and Southern New Hampshire University men's basketball teams will play in a nationally televised game Saturday, Feb. 8. It is the second of the two 2013-14 matchups between the city Division II clubs.
St. Anselm won last year's Northeast-10 regular-season title, while Southern New Hampshire captured the tournament crown.
"We are pleased, not only to be playing in a nationally televised game, but also to have the opportunity to showcase our wonderful campus," said St. Anselm head coach Keith Dickson. "Matching up against our crosstown rival in SNHU is just an added bonus to what should be a special afternoon here on the Hilltop."
The Hawks open their season Nov. 13 at 7:30 p.m. when they host Bentley University. The Penmen tip off the season by welcoming Post to the SNHU Fieldhouse Nov. 9 at 5 p.m.
SENIOR Christiana Bakolas of Manchester will join Courtney Finn and Lauren Battista as captains of the 2013-14 Bentley University women's basketball team, head coach Barbara Stevens announced this week.
She started every game last year when the Falcons posted a 30-2 record and claimed both the regular season and playoff championships in the Northeast-10 Conference for the third straight year.
"The team's vocal leader and three-year starting point guard, Christiana has earned the respect of her fellow teammates and coaches with her leadership and dedication to the program," said Stevens.
- - - - - - - -
DARTMOUTH linebacker Michael Runger (Lisle, Ill.) was among 170 candidates announced last week for the National Football Foundation and College Hall of Fame 2013 NFF National Scholar-Athlete Awards.
Schools are limited to one nominee, who must be a senior or graduate student, carry a GPA of at least 3.2, have outstanding football ability as a first-team player or significant contributor, and have demonstrated strong leadership and citizenship.
UNH announced Friday that the 10th annual Wildcat Tailgating Cookoff will be held Homecoming weekend, Saturday, Oct. 12, in the Boulder Field tailgating area.
Fans are encouraged to bring their best tailgating recipes and fire up the grill prior to kickoff of the UNH/Rhode Island football game at noon. Judging will begin at 10 a.m. and registration is at 9 a.m. The grand prize is a new portable tailgate grill and $250 in credit at The Meat House.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Pats looking for quicker start against Miami - 0
- Chargers edge Manning, Broncos, 27-20 - 0
- Bears sink Cowboys in frigid battle - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Another battle looms for Gronk - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Incredible win tempered by loss of Gronkowski - 2
- Patriots stun Cleveland in another wild comeback - 1
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Pats need to avoid the drama - 0
- Brady to suspicious Texan: Pats 'just played better' - 1
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Not half bad - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 0
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- AG eyes whether credibility issue may undermine some Rockingham County convictions - 0
Police say man attacked woman with sword
The Music Hall presents 'Messiah Sing'