Home » Opinion » Editorials
Late tax bills: A lesson in governance
The memo ignited an outcry from municipal officials. The delay would mean that tax bills could not be sent until the end of the year, well past the time when the governments would need the operating revenue those bills would generate. Some towns and cities might have to borrow money to pay their operating expenses. Immediately, the DRA brass called a meeting with the DOE brass. Two days after the memo had been sent, the DOE discovered that, lo and behold, it would be able to have those numbers ready in October after all.
The DRA stated as a matter of fact that the DOE was incapable of preparing the data in time. It also stated in its memo: "It is the DRA's determination the most reasonable way to proceed is to postpone the finalization of municipal tax rates until the adequacy aid calculations are completed by DOE on November 7, 2013."
The lesson here is that government bureaucracies are ruled by inertia unless shocked out of it by some external force.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Supervised visitation: The metal detector problem - 1
- Charter cap trap: A restriction to repeal - 0
- Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal - 4
- Bedford’s road bond: A good deal for a big fix - 1
- Legislative ethics: NH way works better than most - 0
- Blue shame: Obamacare's big change - 19
- Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief - 21
- Banning cell phones: Impulse shopping in the House - 10
- Bad Joe: Levasseur stalls again - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fugitive of the week arrested in Maine - 0
- Jacob Brown - 0
- 2 dead, 17 injured in NYC building explosion - 1
- Milan voters support Kenney in tight race, elect two new selectmen - 0
- Auburn police contract approved - 0
- Newton selectmen chairman defeated in election - 0
- Candia to look at alternatives to Central High School - 0
- Goffstown rejects $4.5M fire station plan - 0
- Bedford votes down fire substation; $30M for roads approved - 0
NH oil dealer who failed to deliver convicted in Montana of millions in construction fraud
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Shaheen among speakers at Senate Dems' climate change 'talkathon'
Minimum wages: Maximum spin
Hooksett votes down Pinkerton schools deal