Natural gas fuels rising electric costs
The three regulated utilities - Public Service of New Hampshire, Unitil and Liberty - have requests for increases in their energy supply charges either pending before the Public Utilities Commission or already approved by the PUC.
PSNH serves about 70 percent of the state and has lost more than 90,000 residential customers to competitive electricity suppliers since those suppliers began offering lower rates more than a year ago.
Liberty, whose franchise territory includes western and southern areas of the state, serves about 6 percent of the retail customers in New Hampshire, while Unitil serves about 11 percent of the state's retail customers in both the Seacoast and Concord areas.
North American is offering 7.59 cents per kwh on a 12-month guarantee, while ENH, another large competitive supplier, is offering 7.89 cents per kwh for the same period. There are 14 registered providers of competitive energy supply, all with varying terms and rates. The regulated utility continues to deliver the electricity, read the meters and manage the billing, no matter who supplies the power.
The energy charge from PSNH includes costs associated with its power plants, so customer migration is a concern among regulators.
As more customers leave PSNH, a shrinking customer base has to support those power plant expenses.
READER COMMENTS: 25
- Alternative routes being laid out for gas pipeline expansion - 1
- NH gas pipeline expansion pushed - 13
- PSNH discount carries a cost: Loyal customers pay more, those who switch offered lower rate - 7
- Wind company’s tower permit delayed again - 3
- Protesters decry 4.2-cent increase to statewide gas tax - 0
- New Hampshire motorists decry hike in fuel tax - 26
- UPDATED: Power restored after 2,000 customers go without in Manchester's downtown - 0
- Company behind Groton wind plant promotes emergency plan - 0
- Citizens protest Hollis pipeline as town awaits project details - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portland takes first of two from NH Fisher Cats Saturday - 0
- Readers' Choice winners say public vote is meaningful - 0
- Amherst mini-golf course is readers' top choice - 0
- Twins Smoke Shop focuses on good cigars, happy clients - 0
- 'Backstage' NASCAR passes are fans' delight in Loudon - 0
- Motorcyclist killed, passenger injured when hit by car in Manchester accident - 0
- Bicyclist injured when hit by car in Hudson - 0
- Police hope for driving dream, but prepared for driving nightmare in Loudon - 0
- Police investigate serious accident in Manchester - 0
New Hampshire events starting on July 13
Houston hands Red Sox a loss Saturday
With the NASCAR fans, Jr.'s The Man
VA woes across the country led NH to reforms