Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Ortiz powers Sox to 2-0 ALDS lead
Dustin Pedroia drove in three and Stephen Drew added an RBI for the Red Sox, who can close out the best-of-five series at the Rays on Monday.
John Lackey (1-0) allowed four runs on seven hits in 5 1/3 innings and two relievers bridged the gap to Koji Uehara, who struck out two in a perfect ninth for the save.
David Price was charged with seven runs on nine hits in seven-plus innings for Tampa Bay, which has allowed 19 runs in the first two games of the series.
James Loney drove in two runs and Yunel Escobar recorded an RBI and scored for the Rays.
Boston jumped out to an early lead when Ellsbury singled, stole second base, moved up on a throwing error and scored on Pedroia's sacrifice fly. Ortiz followed and slammed a 1-0 cutter into the Red Sox bullpen to make it 2-0 in the first.
Tampa Bay got a run back in the second but Boston tacked on two more in the third and made it 5-1 on Drew's RBI triple in the fourth.
Loney's two-run double in the fifth cut the Rays' deficit in half, but Pedroia added an RBI double in the fifth and Ortiz ended Price's night with a leadoff blast in the eighth to put the game away.
GAME NOTEBOOK: The Rays will attempt to keep their season alive behind RHP Alex Cobb on Monday. The Red Sox will counter with RHP Clay Buchholz. ... Ortiz has homered 14 times in 68 career postseason games, and has three extra-base hits in the first two games of the ALDS. ... Tampa Bay rookie Wil Myers went 0-for-5 and is 1-for-13 with five strikeouts in three postseason games, including the wild-card win over Cleveland.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Rivier University in Nashua aims to transform campus with $4 million plan - 0
- Move to Concord eyed for offices of university system - 5
- Nashua in running for education grant - 0
- Teacher cuts proposed in Londonderry - 22
- Derry school district expects 2014-15 25-student enrollment increase - 0
- Derry teacher who brings science to life a national award finalist - 0
- Londonderry sophomore has a passion for the past - 0
- Students take part in seminar on privacy at Nashua North - 0
- Londonderry kids learn while doing on Toga Tuesday - 0
READER COMMENTS: 7
- UPDATE: Portsmouth woman, 60, identified after her body is found in creek - 1
- N.Y. man charged with reckless conduct after accidental shooting in Nashua - 1
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 7
- Task force arrests man in Nottingham for Candia burglary - 1
- Police: Salem man used car keys to stab officer in hand - 1
- Manchester muffler shop burglarized - 0
- Boy, 12, struck in Newton remains hospitalized - 0
- State revenue under projections for November - 1
- Armed man arrested after Manchester convenience store robbery - 0
UPDATE: Could be 'months' before deciding on charges in crash involving Dover city councilor
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run
Push to block casino in NH ramping up