Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Athletics level ALDS with walk-off win against Tigers
Oakland evened the best-of-five series at one game each, but they left it late in a game dominated by both starting pitchers at the Coliseum in Oakland.
With the bases loaded in the bottom of the ninth inning and nobody out, Stephen Vogt connected with a 1-1 fastball to left field to bring home Yoenis Cespedes.
Both starting pitchers had excellent games, with Oakland's Sonny Gray going eight innings for four hits and nine strikeouts.
Detroit's Justin Verlander went seven innings for four hits and 11 strikeouts, but the bullpen couldn't finish the job.
Cespedes led off the ninth with a single to left field and then Seth Smith hit a single, before Al Albuquerque intentionally walked Josh Reddick to load the bases.
Detroit manager Jim Leyland then brought in Rick Porcello to pitch to Vogt, who connected to end the game.
The series now moves to Detroit for Game Three on Monday.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vin Sylvia: Making the case for Carpenter - 0
- Vin Sylvia: Newly retired Chris Carpenter planning to move back to NH - 0
- Gomes hopes Red Sox retain all their free agents - 0
- Carpenter lauded as one of Cardinals' all-time greats - 1
- Amherst's Huntington runner-up to Cherington - 0
- Cherington garners Executive of the Year - 0
- Red Sox extend offers to Elsbury, Napoli and Drew - 0
- Dave D'Donofrio's Sox Beat: Redemption Sox - 0
- Triumphant Boston celebrates Series in grand style - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two charged with selling heroin in Nashua - 0
- 'Fugitive of the week' arrested in Hooksett - 0
- Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges - 0
- Sports Briefs: No miracle finish for Vonn - 0
- Browns QB Campbell cleared to face Pats - 0
- Bruins defenseman Boychuk's status unknown - 0
- SNHU seeks NCAA title - 0
- Wildcat gridders visit Maine in defining game for program - 0
- Manchester needs more police department argues in staffing report - 1
Science, art combine for cancer fundraiser
Reams threatens to sue county commissioners
Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges
Conway is heartened by word of her letter
'Fugitive of the week' arrested in Hooksett
McWages: They're about value
Pot debate precedes legislative hearings
Dingman: 'I try to be a better person'
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans
Judge rules to keep officers on Laurie list