Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Athletics level ALDS with walk-off win against Tigers
Oakland evened the best-of-five series at one game each, but they left it late in a game dominated by both starting pitchers at the Coliseum in Oakland.
With the bases loaded in the bottom of the ninth inning and nobody out, Stephen Vogt connected with a 1-1 fastball to left field to bring home Yoenis Cespedes.
Both starting pitchers had excellent games, with Oakland's Sonny Gray going eight innings for four hits and nine strikeouts.
Detroit's Justin Verlander went seven innings for four hits and 11 strikeouts, but the bullpen couldn't finish the job.
Cespedes led off the ninth with a single to left field and then Seth Smith hit a single, before Al Albuquerque intentionally walked Josh Reddick to load the bases.
Detroit manager Jim Leyland then brought in Rick Porcello to pitch to Vogt, who connected to end the game.
The series now moves to Detroit for Game Three on Monday.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Chara's 'Gordie' lifts Bruins over Rangers - 0
- Bruin’s effort a turkey in 6-1 loss to Detroit - 0
- Krug lifts Bruins over Penguins in OT - 0
- B's top Hurricanes in overtime - 0
- Blues tip Bruins in shootout - 0
- Soderberg, Smith lead Bruins to victory - 0
- Strong third period helps Senators end Bruins hex - 0
- Former Monarchs lift Kings over Islanders - 0
- Lucic goal lifts Bruins to overtime victory - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Convicted drug dealer arrested in Nashua on more drug charges - 0
- Former Plaistow finance director charged with theft - 0
- Police: Laconia man threatened harm to toddler - 0
- Hooksett officer struck by motorist - 1
- UPDATE: Thornton woman dies after being struck by car in Campton - 0
- Sen. Ayotte pushes for bigger broadband bang for buck - 0
- Somersworth man dies in head-on crash with car driven by Dover City Councilor Michael Weeden - 1
- Hanover’s Grabill named top regional soccer coach - 0
- Londonderry's Aliza Simpson chooses UNH for basketball - 0
Somersworth man dies in head-on crash with car driven by Dover City Councilor Michael Weeden
Ex-Tyco CEO granted parole
What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out'
Boy wounded by bullet was to be released