Home » News » Public Safety
Weare mulled replacing police department with private security company
Thomas Clow, selectmen chairman, said the town entered into an agreement with Greystone International — a subsidiary of Blackwater Security Consultants — to study the possibility of having the private security firm replace the police department.
“It’s something that’s starting to raise its head in towns and cities,” said Tenenholt.
In Weare, it was frustration over ongoing controversy at the police department that made Lacasse consider privatization. Though he couldn’t be reached for comment, he offered a public statement at the board meeting on Sept. 23 that spelled out his discontent.
“I thought it was a terrible idea,” said Clow. “There’s more to policing than just having a security force in place. It’s something I was very much against.”
Lacasse reversed his position at the board meeting on Sept. 23, after interviewing three candidates for police chief. The town has been conducting a search to replace Chief Gregory Begin, who retired in May, and is nearing a decision.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Manchester police to hold ‘Coffee with a Cop’ event - 0
- Keene ordinance against synthetic drugs seems to be working - 0
- Plea deal for woman who allegedly supplied drug hours before Hampton double fatal - 0
- Merrimack rollover sends Mass. driver to hospital - 0
- Suit claims Hudson violates rights of panhandlers - 1
- Driver hits Rochester monument, rolls car and is trapped - 0
- Nashua firefighters put out two fires; 14 people forced out in Palm Street blaze - 0
- Two injured in late night car crash in Londonderry - 0
- Hampton Falls woman charged with striking Rye police officer with her car - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Officials hire principal for Golden Brook school - 0
- Seniors help students start year on the right foot, with the write stuff - 0
- Derry councilors select semi-finalists for town admin job - 0
- Plaistow begins search for new police chief - 0
- Without an exemption, Goffstown resident must pay high taxes on solar energy panels - 1
- Manchester police officer finds gun in cyclist’s backpack - 2
- President Obama: Rescue attempt of NH-based journalist James Foley failed - 6
- Family of slain journalist James Foley calls for more action to save others - 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: A short history of the spice trade - 0
Derry to NH: Take Exit 4A
Editorial: Garcia gains Lambert lies
Hassan, Havenstein both raise nearly $2m