Home » News » Public Safety
Weare mulled replacing police department with private security company
Thomas Clow, selectmen chairman, said the town entered into an agreement with Greystone International — a subsidiary of Blackwater Security Consultants — to study the possibility of having the private security firm replace the police department.
“It’s something that’s starting to raise its head in towns and cities,” said Tenenholt.
In Weare, it was frustration over ongoing controversy at the police department that made Lacasse consider privatization. Though he couldn’t be reached for comment, he offered a public statement at the board meeting on Sept. 23 that spelled out his discontent.
“I thought it was a terrible idea,” said Clow. “There’s more to policing than just having a security force in place. It’s something I was very much against.”
Lacasse reversed his position at the board meeting on Sept. 23, after interviewing three candidates for police chief. The town has been conducting a search to replace Chief Gregory Begin, who retired in May, and is nearing a decision.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Nashua man critical after being hit by box truck - 0
- Durham fire chief considered for similar post in Natick, Mass. - 0
- Wood-drying kiln heavily damaged by fire - 0
- FinnaRageTV uses Keene for promotion - 0
- After Keene riot, PSU campus on alert as party plan is spread by social media - 1
- 2-alarm Manchester fire displaces 10 - 0
- Missing Mason man found dead - 0
- Nashua police chief to retire - 0
- Pinkerton student taken to hospital after being hit by car - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- John Habib's City Sports: St. Thomas coach: I owe Central - 0
- Armed burglar from Derry sentenced to prison - 0
- 'Bingo hunting' police use random license plate checks to make arrest - 0
- Bedford police investigating burglary at Verizon Wireless store - 0
- Police: Manchester man charged with endangering child after going 101 mph - 0
- FairPoint customer concerned about blocked emails - 0
- Plaistow narrows field in search for its new police chief - 0
- Man faces robbery, assault charges after extradition from NY - 0
- Hershey Bears shut out Monarchs - 0
Hockey brought them together; Hooksett ice rink will serve as NH couple's 'church' for wedding
NH Audubon's Rare Bird Alert
Dartmouth women skaters beat Union
Armed burglar from Derry sentenced to prison