Home » News » Public Safety
Weare mulled replacing police department with private security company
Thomas Clow, selectmen chairman, said the town entered into an agreement with Greystone International — a subsidiary of Blackwater Security Consultants — to study the possibility of having the private security firm replace the police department.
“It’s something that’s starting to raise its head in towns and cities,” said Tenenholt.
In Weare, it was frustration over ongoing controversy at the police department that made Lacasse consider privatization. Though he couldn’t be reached for comment, he offered a public statement at the board meeting on Sept. 23 that spelled out his discontent.
“I thought it was a terrible idea,” said Clow. “There’s more to policing than just having a security force in place. It’s something I was very much against.”
Lacasse reversed his position at the board meeting on Sept. 23, after interviewing three candidates for police chief. The town has been conducting a search to replace Chief Gregory Begin, who retired in May, and is nearing a decision.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police hope for driving dream, but prepared for driving nightmare in Loudon - 0
- Police investigate serious accident in Manchester - 0
- Wakefield woman dies in crash; Rye woman crashes into utility pole - 0
- Wakefield woman killed in Milton crash - 0
- Portsmouth police locate, arrest driver after accident - 0
- Two vehicle crash in Milton ends with one driver sustaining fatal injuries - 0
- Assisted living facility proposed for Londonderry - 0
- Plaistow police chief passes away after battle with cancer - 0
- Fire damages building at Jaffrey transfer station - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portland takes first of two from NH Fisher Cats Saturday - 0
- Readers' Choice winners say public vote is meaningful - 0
- Amherst mini-golf course is readers' top choice - 0
- Twins Smoke Shop focuses on good cigars, happy clients - 0
- 'Backstage' NASCAR passes are fans' delight in Loudon - 0
- Motorcyclist killed, passenger injured when hit by car in Manchester accident - 0
- Bonners host charity music festival in Portsmouth - 0
- He knows the Memorial Wall, name by name - 0
- NH to host New England governors, Eastern Canadian premiers in Mount Washington - 0
New Hampshire events starting on July 13
Houston hands Red Sox a loss Saturday
Coco is back in jail, but maybe not for long
With the NASCAR fans, Jr.'s The Man
VA woes across the country led NH to reforms