Options to boost Catholic schools considered
Fortin oversees more than 4,000 students at 23 primary and secondary schools run by the Diocese of Manchester. The bishop also recognizes five other private Catholic schools with more than 2,000 students combined.
Fortin said Census figures showed nearly 27,000 millionaires live in New Hampshire.
“Just give me 1 percent of them,” Fortin said.
On a more serious note, he said, “I think there is money. I think we just have to find a way to get it to support our schools.”
“We’re not just interested in test scores,” Fortin said.
“Our job is for our kids to see the face of Jesus in their lives and that includes seeing it in us,” Fortin said. “To help them develop a personal relationship with the Lord and therefore to give communal witness to the Gospel.”
“If we don’t talk about politics, my goodness, where does our religion go in terms of its communal witness?” he asked.
Catholics also need to appreciate life.
Sister Mary Jo Walsh, principal of St. Patrick School in Portsmouth, said Fortin “gives great talks. He’s going to be wonderful for us.”
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Another View -- Fred Hiatt: Disengage from the world, and this is what happens - 0
- David Harsanyi: Are teachers really underpaid? - 9
- Jonah Goldberg: The U.N. club needs higher standards - 0
- Another View -- Mike Biundo: Where is Shaheen's gas price outrage now? - 20
- Deroy Murdock: What if Gaza were San Diego instead? - 1
- Another View -- Jayne Millerick: Dems scaring women by misleading them on contraception - 55
- Another View -- Charles Lane: Obamacare and the Constitution - 22
- John Stossel: Why are we giving the police so much power? - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 0
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
- Jays' Stroman stymies Red Sox - 0
- Police seeking help to identify alleged credit card thieves - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
When company comes, opt for variety
Win tickets to see Ziggy Marley
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride