Options to boost Catholic schools considered
Fortin oversees more than 4,000 students at 23 primary and secondary schools run by the Diocese of Manchester. The bishop also recognizes five other private Catholic schools with more than 2,000 students combined.
Fortin said Census figures showed nearly 27,000 millionaires live in New Hampshire.
“Just give me 1 percent of them,” Fortin said.
On a more serious note, he said, “I think there is money. I think we just have to find a way to get it to support our schools.”
“We’re not just interested in test scores,” Fortin said.
“Our job is for our kids to see the face of Jesus in their lives and that includes seeing it in us,” Fortin said. “To help them develop a personal relationship with the Lord and therefore to give communal witness to the Gospel.”
“If we don’t talk about politics, my goodness, where does our religion go in terms of its communal witness?” he asked.
Catholics also need to appreciate life.
Sister Mary Jo Walsh, principal of St. Patrick School in Portsmouth, said Fortin “gives great talks. He’s going to be wonderful for us.”
READER COMMENTS: 5
- New headmaster eager to take the reins at Pinkerton - 0
- SNHU, NH Institute of Art merger talk creates anxiety for some - 4
- UNH- Manchester looks to move into Pandora building - 2
- Wilton school project begins - 0
- Nashua explores taking over Brentwood School - 0
- Franklin Pierce lays off four full-time employees - 0
- New Highland-Goffe's Falls principal starts job today - 0
- Board to vote on new graphic design program - 0
- Londonderry names assistant superintendent - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Mazzaglia to be sentenced Aug. 14 for murder of UNH student - 0
- Lost Massachusetts hikers found safe in NH - 0
- GOP criticizes Shaheen flip flop on gas tax - 5
- No one has a clear claim to NHMS supremacy - 0
- Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: Does Concord have a big spending problem? - 1
- Ban fireworks? Get serious - 5
- Another View - Kevin Smith: Londonderry is showing how to make NH business-friendly - 0
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax