Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Kershaw, Dodgers top Braves in NLDS opener
Adrian Gonzalez blasted a two-run homer and A.J. Ellis doubled twice and drove in a run as the Dodgers racked up 11 hits.
The Braves had just five hits and combined for 15 strikeouts against three Los Angeles pitchers.
Kershaw (1-0) allowed one run, three hits and three walks in a 124-pitch outing that earned him his first career postseason victory.
The left-hander struck out six consecutive batters in one stretch.
Skip Schumaker hit a sacrifice fly in the second and Ellis had an RBI double later in the frame before Gonzalez increased the lead to 4-0 in the third with his first career postseason homer off Kris Medlen (0-1).
Mark Ellis added a run-scoring single in the fourth.
The Braves got on the board in the bottom of the fourth when Chris Johnson stroked a run-scoring single. Hanley Ramirez doubled to right-center in the sixth to push the lead back to five.
GAME NOTEBOOK: A.J. Ellis, Mark Ellis, Gonzalez and RF Yasiel Puig had two hits apiece for Los Angeles. ... Medlen allowed five runs and nine hits in four-plus innings. ... RHP Zack Greinke starts Game 2 for the Dodgers against Atlanta LHP Mike Minor on Friday.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Littleton boys earn victory over White Mountains - 0
- Bedford wrestlers top Goffstown - 0
- Central builds early lead, beats Pinkerton - 0
- Pinkerton, Memorial deadlock - 0
- Concord's Law is Athlete of the Month - 0
- Indoor track results - 0
- Central-Trinity: It's time - 2
- Trinity, BG skaters open with victories - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sabres pull away from Bruins - 0
- Bishop Guertin boys top Salem in OT - 0
- Wildcats will need to contend with Fargodome noise - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Kicking game could play crucial role for UNH - 0
- State settles $24.5M lawsuit to force help for mentally ill - 0
- Groton Wind turbines slated to start turning again shortly - 0
- Judicial, PUC appointments before Executive Council - 0
- Hooksett man convicted in fatal boating accident - 0
- Man awarded $250K in sexual assault at medical center - 0
Ice storm threatens the region
Beltran, Yankees make it official
Gun-rights rally against Scott Brown gets rejection from city of Nashua; protesters say event will go on
Al Baldasaro may run for U.S. Senate
'Nutcracker' at Stockbridge
Scott Brown brings out protesters in NH
Plymouth hosts hearing on bill for tougher scrutiny of power projects such as Northern Pass
Money raised for dog hit by snow plow