Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: These Sox know how to seize the moment
We were reminded of that in the second inning of Friday's series opener, when Jon Lester saw what he thought was a third strike to Sean Rodriguez get called a ball, then proceeded to groove his next pitch rather than regroup, and the Rays left fielder sent it soaring toward Lansdowne Street.
Two batters later, Jonny Gomes doubled home Dustin Pedroia and Ortiz. Gomes then dashed home from second when Stephen Drew beat out a grounder to first, and Drew scored when Rodriguez misplaced the carom of Will Middlebrooks' rocket off the Green Monster. Shane Victorino then plated Middlebrooks with the first of his three hits.
They got that advantage Friday thanks to the failures of a team renowned for its adherence to the fundamentals, and the miscues of a defense that made the second-fewest errors in the AL this season. The data simply couldn't have seen that coming.
Dave D'Onofrio covers the Red Sox for the New Hampshire Union Leader and Sunday News. His e-mail address is email@example.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vin Sylvia: Making the case for Carpenter - 0
- Vin Sylvia: Newly retired Chris Carpenter planning to move back to NH - 0
- Gomes hopes Red Sox retain all their free agents - 0
- Carpenter lauded as one of Cardinals' all-time greats - 1
- Amherst's Huntington runner-up to Cherington - 0
- Cherington garners Executive of the Year - 0
- Red Sox extend offers to Elsbury, Napoli and Drew - 0
- Dave D'Donofrio's Sox Beat: Redemption Sox - 0
- Triumphant Boston celebrates Series in grand style - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Incredible win tempered by loss of Gronkowski - 0
- National champion SNHU booters return home to big welcome - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Football team on to SE Louisiana - 0
- Nashua aldermen set to vote on contract for teachers - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Let there be Christmas lights - 0
- Plea deal possible in Littleton murder - 0
- New UNH logo draws mixed reactions - 0
- Gilmanton library may shut down if it doesn’t get funding - 0
- Father not convinced girl in video is Abigail Hernandez - 0
New UNH logo draws mixed reactions
Plea deal possible in Littleton murder
UNH unveils new 'shield' logo
UNH lecturers seek to unionize
Word of Abby's letter spurs tips of no use