Home » News » Public Safety
Merrimack barn destroyed in morning fire
The two-alarm fire broke out around 6 a.m. at 106 Wire Rd. One of the occupants of the residence noticed that the barn was on fire and informed his father, who quickly retrieved a hose to try and contain the blaze, said fire officials.
A large recreational vehicle that was housed inside of the barn was completely totalled, according to Fire Chief Michael Currier, who said the fire likely originated in the rear of the RV.
A second RV was removed from the area before the fire spread, but firefighters still had to deal with several propane cylinders housed inside of the burning barn.
"We were concerned with the home on the property and a neighboring house," said Currier. Both of those residences were evacuated as a precaution.
The cause of the fire is yet undetermined, but Currier said it does not appear suspicious. It took firefighters about 40 minutes to knock down the blaze.
Firefighters from Nashua, Manchester, Bedford, Amherst and Hollis assisted at the scene, while crews from Milford and Londonderry provided station coverage.
A portion of Wire Road was closed during fire. There were no injuries, according to Currier.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Investigators release sketch of man who may have driven Abigail away - 1
- Supporters ask for patience in Abby Hernandez case while authorities sort it all out - 9
- Package found at Manchester federal building was harmless - 0
- Tractor-trailer carrying glass rolls over at I-93-Route 101 interchange in Manchester - 0
- Contact lost with Air Algerie plane carrying 116 people from Burkina Faso - 0
- New Ipswich man dies in motorcycle, truck collision - 0
- Two hurt in crash on Everett Turnpike involving tractor-trailer - 0
- Lightning likely cause of Manchester apartment building fire - 0
- Motorcyclist seriously injured in Jaffrey crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Jayne Millerick: Dems scaring women by misleading them on contraception - 0
- Basket case: Saga of a supermarket - 1
- Patriots Notebook: Ongoing renovations in Foxborough - 0
- Three years later, investigation continues into homicide of Celina Cass - 0
- Nashua celebration in the works for Medal of Honor recipient - 0
- Fisher Cats down Senators in road trip opener - 0
- No water for Manchester sewer bill scofflaws? - 0
- New Boston mulch processing plant plans under review - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Defense attorney seeks home confinement for drug addict - 0
Market Basket walkout a future case study
UPDATED: Thousands of Market Basket employees rally; company board issues statement on purchase offer, reaffirms support for new CEOs
Basket case: Saga of a supermarket