Home » Sports » Hockey » Bruins/NHL
Bruins open season with win over Lightning
Milan Lucic's goal gave the Bruins a 2-1 lead late in the second period and Bergeron weaved into the middle to score 4:02 into the third. Rask made 15 of his stops in the first period for Boston, which beat the Lightning for the fifth straight time.
Valtteri Filppula scored for the Lightning, who were 0-for-5 on the power play and had 3:25 with a two-man advantage.
Anders Lindback got the start in goal for Tampa Bay and made 22 saves.
Kelly, who was hooked by defenseman Mark Barberio to set up the penalty shot, deked Lindback before backhanding a shot into the net 11:39 into the contest. Tampa Bay, which had a 15-6 edge in shots during the opening period, could not tie it despite having a 5-on-3 power play for 1:53.
Lightning defenseman Eric Brewer beat two Bruins on the right wing and slid a centering pass to Filppula at 10:32 into the second.
The Bruins regained the lead when David Krejci jumped on a bouncing puck on the left wing and fed Lucic, who beat Lindback from the left circle with one minute remaining in the second.
GAME NOTEBOOK: Boston announced it had signed D Dennis Seidenberg to a four-year contract extension before the game, reportedly worth $16 million. ...Former Maurice "Rocket" Richard Trophy winner Steven Stamkos was held to two shots for Tampa Bay, which has won only four of 40 games at Boston all-time in regular-season games. ... Tampa Bay veteran D Sami Salo (upper body) was scratched and Bruins F Carl Soderberg (ankle) was placed on injured reserve.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pat Buchanan: China has begun prowling Asia like a hungry tiger - 1
- Thomas Sowell: Victimhood and race - 3
- Fred Hiatt: While Obama talked, Assad killed - 4
- Ramesh Ponnuru: Why the latest corporate tax cut plan won't work - 1
- Aidan Connell: Manchester Central educated this Hooksett student very well - 11
- Deroy Murdock; Fracking is 'greener' than environmentalists want to admit - 9
- Margaret Carlson: Is Obamacare challenging enough yet for President Obama? - 4
- George Will: Scott Walker, action figure governor - 1
- Charles Krauthammer: An outbreak of lawlessness - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Convicted drug dealer arrested in Nashua on more drug charges - 0
- Former Plaistow finance director charged with theft - 0
- Police: Laconia man threatened harm to toddler - 0
- Hooksett officer struck by motorist - 1
- UPDATE: Thornton woman dies after being struck by car in Campton - 0
- Sen. Ayotte pushes for bigger broadband bang for buck - 0
- Somersworth man dies in head-on crash with car driven by Dover City Councilor Michael Weeden - 1
- Hanover’s Grabill named top regional soccer coach - 0
- Londonderry's Aliza Simpson chooses UNH for basketball - 0
Somersworth man dies in head-on crash with car driven by Dover City Councilor Michael Weeden
Ex-Tyco CEO granted parole
What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out'
Boy wounded by bullet was to be released