Rays blank Indians in wild card game, headed to Boston for ALDS
Cobb (1-0) scattered eight hits and struck out five in his first career playoff start and Delmon Young homered for the Rays, who will face the top-seeded Boston Red Sox in the AL Division Series beginning Friday.
Rookie Danny Salazar (0-1) allowed three runs on four hits and a pair of walks in four innings as the Indians had a 10-game winning streak come to an end in the franchise's first postseason game since 2007. Lonnie Chisenhall went 3-for-4, but Cleveland left nine runners on base.
Salazar set down the first six in order before Young led off the third inning and ripped a first-pitch fastball halfway up the bleachers in left field. Jennings came up with runners on the corners and two out in the fourth and sent a 97-mph fastball into the left-field corner to make it 3-0.
The Indians loaded the bases with one out in the fourth but Asdrubal Cabrera grounded into a 3-6-1 double play to end the threat. Joel Peralta came in with two on in the seventh and struck out Nick Swisher to end another threat and Jake McGee got out of a jam in the eighth before Yunel Escobar's single in the ninth tacked on an insurance run.
GAME NOTEBOOK: The top three hitters in the Cleveland lineup (Michael Bourn, Swisher and Jason Kipnis) went 0-for-12 with four strikeouts. … The umpires reversed a foul call on Swisher in the first inning. The third base umpire originally ruled that a foul tip had hit the ground before going into C Jose Molina's glove, but the umpires got together and correctly ruled that Molina had caught the ball on the fly, resulting in a strikeout. … Tampa Bay went 7-12 against Boston during the regular season.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dodgers shut out Cardinals in NLCS Game 3 - 0
- Manchester Memorial grad Chris Lambert enters Boston College Hall of Fame - 1
- Finally, Tampa Bay's Sam Fuld gets to meet new son - 0
- Rays blank Indians in wild card game, headed to Boston for ALDS - 0
- Conway’s Locke left off Pirates’ playoff roster - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Playoff roster is Farrell's job - 0
- Propane truck overturns on Bow side street - 0
- NH makes tort reform group's 'Judicial Hellholes' list - 4
- Manchester's O'Neill, Lebanon's Morrill form UNH's 'Granite Wall' - 0
- UPDATE: Stretch of I-293 South, North lanes reopen after propane tanker crashes - 1
- $13m contract recommended for next phase of Nashua parkway - 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Proposed article sets rules for use of temporary signs - 0
- Newsreel: State unemployment stable; Gates Foundation CEO named; generic Viagra out soon - 0
- Leclerc takes second place in men's hockey - 0