Until they all come home
It was POW/MIA Recognition Day at the cemetery, a day to remember those lost or captured during military conflict.
"Because of your sacrifice, our country is safer, and our freedom is stronger. We are all deeply grateful," said Gov. Maggie Hassan.
"We are keeping hope alive, the people of New Hampshire will never give up on you," Hassan said.
U.S. Sen. Kelly Ayotte said more action must be taken to rescue and return POWs and MIAs, including those known to be held, like Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl of Idaho, who has been a captive of the Taliban in Afghanistan since 2009.
Ivan Eaton of Seabrook spent three years in a North Korean prison. He said he was honored by the tributes, and encouraged by the passion expressed by many.
Tara Sue Myers of Wakefield came for support. Her grandfather and father were both soldiers. She has a brother serving in Afghanistan, another serving in Kuwait, and another brother just came home after serving in Iraq.
"It's hard, they keep going back, and I just have to hope they return," she said. "You always have that fear, you roll the dice so many times."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View - Betsy McCaughey: The Obamacare horror stories are not lies - 1
- Thomas Sowell: Freedom is not free; you've got to fight for it - 0
- Michael C. Whitney: A small gas tax hike would be good for business - 5
- Jonah Goldberg: In the case of My Brother's Keeper, race does, and should, matter - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: The NH Senate's Medicaid trap - 0
- Rep. William Butynski: A casino gambling plan that works for NH - 3
- George Will: Misreading Putin, and history - 4
- Rep. Kenneth Fredette: NH should avoid Maine’s Medicaid mistake - 5
- David Harsanyi: Social conservatives would benefit by embracing libertarianism - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Firefighters battle blaze at Pittsfield pizza plant - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Wildcats, Hogan not finished yet - 0
- Little Green has quartet of contenders for New England wrestling championships - 0
- Roger Brown's High School Basketball: Madness has arrived - 0
- Monarchs: Let's play three - 0
- Another View -- Diana Lacey: Union Leader editorial got gas tax hearing all wrong - 2
- Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief - 6
- Banning cell phones: Impulse shopping in the House - 3
- Cannon Mountain skiers head to Paralympics - 0
Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief
Bad Joe: Levasseur stalls again
House says no to bill to reduce NH meals tax