Home » News » Public Safety
New Castle marina fined $50,000 for fuel safety violations
CONCORD — A New Castle company was fined $50,000 for illegally altering an underground storage tank system to allow for "fast fueling" of boats at Wentworth by the Sea Marina, authorities announced Thursday.
The settlement with Pier People LLC and Spenser Epperson allows for $15,000 of the fine to be permanently suspended provided the marina has no further violations.
According to Attorney General Joseph A. Foster and New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services (DES) Commissioner Thomas S. Burack, Pier People altered the pipes leading from the underground storage tank to boats docking at the marina so the boats could be fueled more quickly.
However, state authorities say, the alterations effectively bypassed some of the required safety systems, thus increasing the risk of uncontrolled releases of petroleum into the state's waters.
Pier People admits it committed violations but disputes the state's facts, claiming violations resulted from miscommunication. DES previously emailed the defendants informing them the underground storage tank alterations were in "direct violation of New Hampshire regulations," authorities said in a news release.
No fuel was spilled at the marina as a result of the alterations, and authorities say only one boat may have been fueled using the altered system.
Nonetheless, Foster said in a prepared statement, "We cannot put human health and the environment at risk. We are fortunate that nothing was spilled this time and we are going to make sure that this type of behavior does not occur in the future at this or any other facility in New Hampshire."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 2 officers, Weare face civil suit over 2012 burglary arrest - 25
- Extreme skier's handgun found, returned to him - 8
- Antrim fire damages cape - 0
- Merrimack students get a sobering lesson about drinking and driving - 0
- Two crashes reported on I-93 in Canterbury, Londonderry - 0
- Man killed in Seabrook fire identified - 0
- UPDATE: Search suspended for Northfield man a second day - 0
- Serious Concord crash injures Mass. woman - 0
- Concord police seek help locating homeless man - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: It's time to make legislative sausage - 0
- Memory of bombings remains vivid for those who were there - 0
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: No power play in aldermanic chambers, mayor in good spirits - 1
- On Baseball: Locke pitches game in minor league rehab - 0
- NH's top prospects happy to be part of Boston - 0
- Relative newcomers vie for Boston title - 0
- NH College Notebook: Franklin Pierce's King named to 18U coaching staff - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: New Hampshire makes a big deal about Boston Marathon - 0
- Another View - Ahad Fazelat: How Medicare reimbursement numbers are misleading - 0
Man electrocuted at Keene brush fire
A cellphone ban: Ignoring inconvenient data
Mike Cote's Business Editor's Notebook: Restaurant owner faces up to challenge of Obamacare
'He is risen': 'As he said'