Apr 19, 2014
Apr 10, 2014
Apr 3, 2014
Mar 12, 2014
Bay State man convicted of pillaging elderly woman's account
James Hughes, 53, of Dracut, Mass. was found guilty on Thursday of theft and fraudulent use of credit card charges in Rockingham County Superior Court. (JAMES A. KIMBLE)
A jury found James Hughes, 53, guilty on Thursday morning around 9:30 a.m. on charges of felony theft and unauthorized use of a credit card for withdrawing about $9,000 in Salem between March 2009 and January 2010.
McHugh denied several motions by Hughes' public defender, Anthony Naro, to dismiss the charges, or declare a mistrial.
The jury had enough evidence to find that the number of transactions made at Rockingham Park and other gambling establishments could lead them to conclude that Hughes was stealing the money for his own use, McHugh said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Four burglaries reported in Manchester on Thursday - 0
- Manchester woman arrested twice in two days - 0
- Police say trio used Craigslist to lure, rob contractor - 7
- Burglars take $210K in cash from safe in Salem home - 0
- Judge rejects new rape trial for ex-Salem planning board member - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Man accused of writing company checks to himself - 0
- Police say man clocked doing 100 on Route 11 in Wilmot - 0
- Portsmouth arrests 2 for heroin sales - 5
- Student brings knife into Nashua school - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Legal Perspective -- Health care decision making: Pending legislation fills gap - 0
- GoShopNH offers workshop to NH artisans on selling their products online - 0
- Christopher Thompson's Closing the Deal: Be a student of your profession - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Lacrosse: Bedford proving Division I-worthy - 0
- NHIAA Baseball: Londonderry's Corey escapes seventh-inning jam in win - 0
- Pope presides at Vatican Mass leading Catholics into Easter - 0
- Top-ranked B's seek to tie up series - 0
- Bottoms up for Red Sox in win over Orioles - 0
- Struggling Fisher Cats defeated again - 0
Man electrocuted at Keene brush fire
Citizens Bank robbed Saturday in Manchester
- Mass. Supreme Judicial Court has found upskirt photos taken on a subway aren't illegal. Should such voyeurism be a crime?
- Total Votes: 917