Dec 19, 2013
Nov 14, 2013
Nov 6, 2013
Oct 30, 2013
Valley Cemetery suffers another visit from vandals
Most of the damage occurred inside the Pine Street entrance and was discovered by Parks and Recreation workers Wednesday morning. Crews had reset some of the monuments before the end of the day.
Police estimated the damage around $3,000. Although cemetery workers had reset most of the monuments, some were at odd angles; indentations left by the heavy stones remained visible. One large, white double headstone was cracked in several pieces and rested in the grass near the cemetery chapel.
State Rep. Jane Beaulieu, president of the board of Friends of Valley Cemetery, said she visited the landmark a few weeks ago to view damage done by thieves attempting to pry bronze from the tomb of Frederick Smyth, the mayor of Manchester who was elected governor of New Hampshire in 1865.
“It continues to happen. Last spring we had a group of pipe fitters that raised about 120 stones,” she said.
Aron said Valley Cemetery does not have a full-time maintenance crew. She estimated it is targeted by vandals two or three times a year. “Valley Street seems to be the one that’s hit the most often. The others we don’t have too many problems,” she said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nashua man held in home invasion - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 6
- AG eyes whether credibility issue may undermine some Rockingham County convictions - 3
- City man charged with endangering child - 0
- Coos Superior Court hands up indictments - 0
- Coos County jury indicts Lancaster man in theft of firearms - 0
- Page Restaurant owners agree to pay $4,000 as part of plea deal - 0
- Driver arrested after nearly hitting Canaan police chief - 0
- Police say man attacked woman with sword - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Forecasters eye possible weekend ice storm - 0
- Abigail's mother issues plea for Christmas return - 1
- Fugitive caught hiding under bed in Jaffrey - 0
- Fugitive of the week: James Porter - 0
- Firefighters respond to fire at Somersworth home - 0
- Milford fatal crash remains under investigation - 0
- Snow could reschedule Super Bowl - 2
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child
- Should applicants for jobless benefits have to pass a drug test?
- Total Votes: 1424