Mar 12, 2014
Mar 5, 2014
Feb 26, 2014
Feb 19, 2014
Jury deliberating case of Mass. man accused of gambling away woman's money
BRENTWOOD – A jury began deliberating Wednesday afternoon in the trial of a Dracut, Mass., man accused of stealing thousands of dollars from an elderly neighbor and gambling the money at Rockingham Park in Salem.
James Hughes, 53, is charged with felony theft and unauthorized use of a credit card for withdrawing about $9,000 between March 9, 2009, and Jan. 16, 2010.
Prosecutors say Hughes’ theft totaled $48,000 between gambling venues in New Hampshire, Massachusetts and Connecticut. Hughes allegedly used the woman’s ATM card.
The victim, Irene Sparrow-Meade, died on Dec. 5 at age 84, but prosecutors decided to go forward with the case without her testimony, relying on a niece from Auburn who testified about her interactions with Hughes.
“We are not asking for favors, we are not asking you to do Irene favors,” assistant county attorney Jerome Blanchard told the jury during closing arguments. “We are asking you to do your jobs.”
Public defender Anthony Naro argued that the state lacked the evidence it needed to prove Hughes committed theft. Naro maintained that Hughes had permission to use the card.
(For more on this story, see Thursday's edition of the New Hampshire Union Leader.)
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Was a crime committed? Nashua police are not certain - 0
- Man arrested in Nashua market robbery - 0
- Fugitive of the week arrested in Maine - 0
- Manchester CrimeWatch: City woman connected to fatal crash in court again - 0
- UPDATED: Rochester man shot multiple times as police attempted arrest - 0
- Bedford man sentenced for lobster trap thefts - 0
- Manchester police recover $2,000 worth of painkillers in drug arrest - 2
- UPDATE: Hudson police standoff ends; person in custody - 0
- Manchester man who defrauded banks in mortgage foreclosure scheme gets 6 years - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- No dice: House kills casino gambling bill - 0
- Poetry Out Loud championship rescheduled due to storm - 0
- Portsmouth buildings evacuated for reported gas leak - 0
- Mass. man dies in Chesterfield crash - 0
- Manchester collision results in pedestrian's death - 0
- SCORE workshop offers social media tips - 0
- Sens. Shaheen, Ayotte slam latest push for online sales tax - 4
- Bedford girls basketball team spreads the scoring wealth - 0
- New Hampshire high school athletes on the run (and jumping) in NYC - 0
SCORE workshop offers social media tips
Minimum wages: Maximum spin
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown doles out $29k to NHGOP committees from his PAC
Hooksett votes down Pinkerton schools deal
No dice: House kills casino gambling bill