Oct 30, 2014
Oct 2, 2014
Sep 25, 2014
Sep 18, 2014
Jury deliberating case of Mass. man accused of gambling away woman's money
James Hughes, 53, of Salem is on trial in Rockingham County Superior Court in Brentwood on charges of theft and fraudulent use of a credit card. JAMES A. KIMBLE/UNION LEADER CORRESPONDENT
BRENTWOOD – A jury began deliberating Wednesday afternoon in the trial of a Dracut, Mass., man accused of stealing thousands of dollars from an elderly neighbor and gambling the money at Rockingham Park in Salem.
James Hughes, 53, is charged with felony theft and unauthorized use of a credit card for withdrawing about $9,000 between March 9, 2009, and Jan. 16, 2010.
Prosecutors say Hughes’ theft totaled $48,000 between gambling venues in New Hampshire, Massachusetts and Connecticut. Hughes allegedly used the woman’s ATM card.
The victim, Irene Sparrow-Meade, died on Dec. 5 at age 84, but prosecutors decided to go forward with the case without her testimony, relying on a niece from Auburn who testified about her interactions with Hughes.
“We are not asking for favors, we are not asking you to do Irene favors,” assistant county attorney Jerome Blanchard told the jury during closing arguments. “We are asking you to do your jobs.”
Public defender Anthony Naro argued that the state lacked the evidence it needed to prove Hughes committed theft. Naro maintained that Hughes had permission to use the card.
(For more on this story, see Thursday's edition of the New Hampshire Union Leader.)
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Judge hikes bail in sex assault, child porn case - 0
- Judge declines to order mistrial in Derry sex assault case - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Police say homeless man stole car, struck pedestrian - 0
- Police investigating pizza store burglary in Plaistow - 0
- Salem police searching for Dunkin Donuts robber who wore Obama Halloween mask - 2
- Information sought in Keene hair salon burglary attempt - 0
- Two men arrested in Nashua armed robbery - 0
- Elderly Dover woman victim of paving scam, police say - 1
- Man charged with sex assault, sticking woman with hypodermic needle - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- School's out for voters - 0
- Kuster's abortion lies: Claims against Garcia are untrue - 0
- Brown, Shaheen run hardest where support is deepest - 0
- Jonathan E. Benedict - 0
- Drew Cline: GOP missed opportunities could mean trouble on Tuesday - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Demaryius Thomas is x-factor for Broncos' offense - 0
- College Football: Big Green ready for tussle with Harvard - 0
- UNH Notebook: Albany is much improved - 0
- MVP Bumgarner rides to the rescue for Giants' third World Series win in five years - 0
The Obamaconomy: Shea-Porter shows its flaw
- Whom do you think bears the brunt of the blame for the mayhem this weekend in Keene?
- KSC students
- KSC administration
- Visitors from out of town
- A combination of any/all of the above
- Total Votes: 2483