All Sections
Welcome guest, you have 3 views left.  Register| Sign In

Fire damages Manchester apartment building

MANCHESTER — A Monday afternoon fire damaged a rear apartment of the Boylston Home rooming house at 86 Mammoth Road. The residents, most of them young men, gathered outside the rooming house, which is close to the intersection of Somerville Street and Mammoth Road.

"I was in the shower and all soapy. I heard the alarm and thought somebody probably just burned popcorn," said David Suman. They said the fire started in an apartment that two women recently rented and is in the rear of the building. Passersby corralled two kittens some residents had rescued from the apartment.
Fire officials said the structure is a former orphanage and has about 36 rooms. District Fire Chief Jim Michael was unsure Monday afternoon whether most of the residents would be able to return to their rooms Monday night.

28th Annual Chocolate Festival 28th Annual Chocolate Festival
Sunday, 11 a.m. - 4 p.m.

FattyFest FattyFest
Saturday, 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.

Boogie Wonder Band Boogie Wonder Band
Saturday, 7:30 p.m.

USASA BoarderSkier Cross USASA Boarder/Skier Cross
Saturday, 9:30 a.m. - 4 p.m.

Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required

More Public Safety

NH Angle