Elementary school creates community spirit
"All of the kids have recess together, they work in the garden and the greenhouse, and every kid in the school has a pair of snowshoes," Osgood said.
"I've been teaching for 25 years and I love having multi-age classrooms," Guertin said. "We can revisit things I've taught the first-graders so the kindergarteners know, and the older kids model what's expected of them for the younger ones."
Each year half of their students can serve as "ambassadors," and teach the incoming students the routine.
And the students all participate in school-wide field trips, instead of heading out one class at a time.
Principal Mark Taft, who works part-time in the school due to its small size, said the school is like a family.
White actually pays visits to each of her new students' homes before the start of the school year, said Osgood, so that she can fully understand the needs of each student and establish a relationship before the first bell rings.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing? - 2
- Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release - 2
- Ban fireworks? Get serious - 12
- Praising freedom: While curtailing it - 16
- Fergus Cullen: No politics buffer zone - some want issue unsettled - 7
- The perfect winner: Mrs. Craig gives when she receives - 0
- A sacred rite denied: Partial justice in Marriott murder - 0
- Casino tax breaks: Bad news for Gov. Hassan - 4
- A medal well earned: Ryan M. Pitts is a hero - 3
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Tiler Eaton: The Northern Pass project would help, not hurt, NH's economy - 0
- Allen Lessels on Motor Sports: Craven loves qualifying format - 0
- Revenge? Shea needs none - 0
- Bonner rock'n the hardware - 0
- On Baseball: G'days for Berti boosted his game - 0
- Special Section: Readers' Choice 2014 - 0
- Officials probe fire at Jaffrey trash sorting building - 0
- Swamp Bats fall to Pilgrims - 0
- Bedford tops Machester East in District I LL action - 0
Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing?
Community groups profit from race week