Elementary school creates community spirit
"All of the kids have recess together, they work in the garden and the greenhouse, and every kid in the school has a pair of snowshoes," Osgood said.
"I've been teaching for 25 years and I love having multi-age classrooms," Guertin said. "We can revisit things I've taught the first-graders so the kindergarteners know, and the older kids model what's expected of them for the younger ones."
Each year half of their students can serve as "ambassadors," and teach the incoming students the routine.
And the students all participate in school-wide field trips, instead of heading out one class at a time.
Principal Mark Taft, who works part-time in the school due to its small size, said the school is like a family.
White actually pays visits to each of her new students' homes before the start of the school year, said Osgood, so that she can fully understand the needs of each student and establish a relationship before the first bell rings.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nashua fourth-graders show significant gains in science - 0
- UNH math professor earns prestigious MacArthur Fellowship - 0
- School emergency notification system to launch in Londonderry - 0
- New Nashua computer curriculum stresses exam, lifetime skills - 0
- Manchester teachers to hold 2nd contract vote following voting hours complaints - 26
- Alton educator selected as NH Teacher of the Year - 0
- USNH: Restore funding and we'll freeze tuition - 5
- Manchester, Hooksett will resume schools conversation - 2
- River Valley Community College planning for new president's inauguration - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Scots spurn independence, vote to stay in the United Kingdom - 0
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Answers forthcoming - 0
- NHMS chief Gappens is on board with the Chase changes - 0
- Another View -- Ben Rose: How NH's John Stark helped defeat the British at Saratoga - 0
- Celebrating Claremont: A 250th birthday party - 0
- Trashed lunches: Brownies, broccoli and bucks - 6
- Hampstead's Suess ready for Whelen Modified race - 0
- College Football: Big Green kick off season vs. Cent. Connecticut - 0
- Son says shooting of mom during DEA raid was a mistake - 11
Supporters eager for Hillary's return to NH
Manchester family heartbroken after finding lost kitten was adopted from shelter, family refuses to return it