Elementary school creates community spirit
"All of the kids have recess together, they work in the garden and the greenhouse, and every kid in the school has a pair of snowshoes," Osgood said.
"I've been teaching for 25 years and I love having multi-age classrooms," Guertin said. "We can revisit things I've taught the first-graders so the kindergarteners know, and the older kids model what's expected of them for the younger ones."
Each year half of their students can serve as "ambassadors," and teach the incoming students the routine.
And the students all participate in school-wide field trips, instead of heading out one class at a time.
Principal Mark Taft, who works part-time in the school due to its small size, said the school is like a family.
White actually pays visits to each of her new students' homes before the start of the school year, said Osgood, so that she can fully understand the needs of each student and establish a relationship before the first bell rings.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Back to school at Keene State - 0
- School board holds hearing on proposed charter school in Windham - 0
- Hill district considering three offers where to send middle, high school students - 0
- Program to help hungry Hudson kids with food packages - 0
- Lebanon College announces cancelation of fall classes - 0
- Robot 'Joe' will be student's eyes, ears in Bow fifth-grader's classroom - 2
- SNHU, NHIA set to merge, public still concerned - 3
- Manchester to raise driver's ed fee to $575 - 0
- Despite opposition from Common Core foes, Manchester school standards OK'd - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Traffic signal stop leads to drug arrest in Merrimack - 0
- NH Fisher Cats slam way to win over Trenton - 0
- Officials hire principal for Golden Brook school - 0
- Derry councilors select semi-finalists for town admin job - 0
- Plaistow begins search for new police chief - 0
- Without an exemption, Goffstown resident must pay high taxes on solar energy panels - 1
- Upcoming selectmen's meeting stirring controversy among Bow's firefighters - 1
- Manchester police to hold ‘Coffee with a Cop’ event - 0
- Manchester police officer finds gun in cyclist’s backpack - 2
Derry to NH: Take Exit 4A
Editorial: Garcia gains Lambert lies
ISIS beheads NH journalist