Dec 4, 2014
Oct 30, 2014
Oct 2, 2014
Sep 25, 2014
Plant owner on trial for gunpowder blast deaths
"Greed. That age-old motivating factor," John McCormick told a superior court jury at the manslaughter and negligent homicide trial of former plant owner Craig Sanborn.
McCormick said Craig Sanborn had decided to save money by skipping safety measures, including "meaningful protective gear and training," and instead focused on what McCormick said was the unrealistic goal of producing 50,000 pounds of gunpowder in a year to fill a lucrative contract he'd signed with a cartridge manufacturer.
"It's gunpowder; it explodes. He knew of the substantial and real risk of placing those men there unprotected," the prosecutor told the 14 jurors, including two alternates.
"How did this building explode? Not getting a license to store explosives didn't cause the explosion. It could've been workers that day that caused the explosion. There are many, many, many possibilities," Sisti said.
Sisti urged jurors not to make up their minds until they'd heard all of what's expected to be extensive evidence.
He pointed out that the 64-year-old Sanborn, of Maidstone, Vt., was at a National Rifle Association-sponsored event in Charlotte, N.C., on the day of the blast.
The indictments a grand jury handed up last year said Sanborn negligently engaged in the manufacture, production, testing and storage of explosive materials. Sanborn has pleaded not guilty to two counts each of manslaughter and negligent homicide.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Police look for Laconia sub shop robber - 0
- Claremont man indicted on two charges of arson - 0
- Police hunt pair they believe attacked couple at Rochester motel - 0
- Phone evidence likely allowed in Hampstead home invasion trial - 0
- Grand jury indicts one of three men accused in murder of Madbury teen - 0
- Piano teacher wants statement tossed before sex assault trial - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: The fiscal mismanagement in Washington is a choice - 25
- 'Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus' - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads
- Whom do you think bears the brunt of the blame for the mayhem this weekend in Keene?
- KSC students
- KSC administration
- Visitors from out of town
- A combination of any/all of the above
- Total Votes: 2483