Apr 19, 2014
Apr 10, 2014
Apr 3, 2014
Mar 12, 2014
Former hospital employee in Dover charged with sexual assault
DOVER — Wentworth-Douglass Hospital hopes to reassure patients after an employee allegedly “inappropriately” touched a woman twice during a procedure.
Brendan Higgins, 41, of 117 Liberty Lane, Barrington, was charged with two counts of misdemeanor sexual assault for touching “an adult female patient inappropriately in the course of a medical procedure” Sept. 15.
Police Lt. Brendt Dolleman said the woman reported the incident to hospital officials, who immediately suspended Higgins as a computed tomography technician and notified police.
“He is no longer employed at the hospital,” Dolleman said.
Noreen Biehl, vice president of community relations, confirmed that Higgins has left Wentworth-Douglass.
Although no other patients have expressed similar complaints, Wentworth-Douglass Hospital established a response team of nurses and patient advocates to answer questions and provide support via a toll-free hotline, which can be reached by calling (855) 215-3130.
As of Monday, Biehl said no one has reported any issues. She added the hotline will remain available to help address any concerns.
According to a statement issued by Gregory Walker, president and chief executive officer, “Our patients and our staff put their faith and trust in our hospital and expect us to deliver care in the most respectful way. Any break in this trust is inexcusable.
“I extend my regrets and sincere apologies to the patient involved in this incident and appreciate her strength and cooperation as she follows through the investigative process,” Walker said in the release.
“We have voluntarily reported the incident to our accrediting body, the Joint Commission, notified the N.H. Department of Health & Human Services and initiated an extensive review of our policies, procedures and monitoring systems to prevent this from happening again,” according to the release.
After learning a warrant had been issued for his arrest, Higgins turned himself in to police Friday morning, Dolleman said.
Higgins was released on $10,000 personal recognizance with the conditions he have no contact with the woman or be allowed at Wentworth-Douglass “unless he requires emergency medical treatment,” police said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Judge increases bail to $100,000 cash for Dover teen accused of starting fire Tuesday night - 0
- Manchester man accused of robbery at knifepoint - 0
- Sunapee man apologizes for deaths of Vermont couple - 0
- Hudson woman arrested in meth lab case - 0
- Candia police investigating possible pitbull fighting - 0
- Man shot by Nashua police says he was acting in self defense - 1
- Diocese issues narrative regarding investigation of monsignor - 0
- Bishops' statements on sentencing of Rev. Msgr. Arsenault - 0
- Man arrested after two men robbed on Canal Street - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UNH library halts book disposal after complaints - 0
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Valenti Modified race was top shelf - 0
- Manchester school official points to 7 weapons cases not brought to conduct committee - 0
- Edie Loeb Tomasko dies, leaves UpReach Therapeutic Riding Center legacy - 0
- Witt named UNH women’s hockey coach - 0
- Ian Clark's High School Lacrosse: Bedford boys remains focused on third title - 0
- Fisher Cats steal home, beat New Britain - 0
- Executive Council vote: Centralized immunization registry becoming a reality - 0
- Littleton music store still playing the right notes - 0
New Hampshire Club Notes
Younger of two brothers convicted of murdering parents quietly released after 18 years in prison
- Mass. Supreme Judicial Court has found upskirt photos taken on a subway aren't illegal. Should such voyeurism be a crime?
- Total Votes: 917