Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Red Sox lose season finale, focus on playoffs
Ryan Flaherty came off the bench to replace an injured Chris Davis and had two hits and two RBIs, leading the Orioles to a 7-6 victory over the Red Sox in the final regular-season game Sunday.
Boston center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury went 2-for-5 and hit his ninth home run of the season. Right fielder Quintin Berry got his first home run of the season for the Red Sox. Mike Napoli went 2-for-4 with an RBI.
Davis had to leave the game in the fourth inning with a sprained left wrist. X-rays were negative and no further tests were scheduled.
" We're right where we need to be," Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz said. "Now, it's all about surviving. I feel good. We finished in first place, right?"
The Orioles' bullpen then held the lead with Jim Johnson getting his 50th save, best in the American League, despite allowing an RBI single to pinch hitter Napoli in the ninth. Johnson got Middlebrooks to ground into a double play to end the game with the tying run on third.
"All I can do is play as hard as I possibly can," Berry said. "I'm just trying to show what I can do."
After loading the bases with three walks in the first, Webster retired eight consecutive batters before being replaced by Doubront.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pat Buchanan: China has begun prowling Asia like a hungry tiger - 3
- Thomas Sowell: Victimhood and race - 4
- Fred Hiatt: While Obama talked, Assad killed - 4
- Ramesh Ponnuru: Why the latest corporate tax cut plan won't work - 1
- Aidan Connell: Manchester Central educated this Hooksett student very well - 13
- Deroy Murdock; Fracking is 'greener' than environmentalists want to admit - 9
- Margaret Carlson: Is Obamacare challenging enough yet for President Obama? - 4
- George Will: Scott Walker, action figure governor - 1
- Charles Krauthammer: An outbreak of lawlessness - 1
READER COMMENTS: 7
- UPDATE: Portsmouth woman, 60, identified after her body is found in creek - 1
- N.Y. man charged with reckless conduct after accidental shooting in Nashua - 1
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 7
- Task force arrests man in Nottingham for Candia burglary - 1
- Police: Salem man used car keys to stab officer in hand - 1
- Manchester muffler shop burglarized - 0
- Boy, 12, struck in Newton remains hospitalized - 0
- State revenue under projections for November - 1
- Armed man arrested after Manchester convenience store robbery - 0
UPDATE: Could be 'months' before deciding on charges in crash involving Dover city councilor
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run
Push to block casino in NH ramping up