Coe-Brown girls make Invitational statement
"It's time to get down and get serious," said Liz Danis, a sophomore at Coe-Brown Academy in Northwood.
"The season really gets started today," said Tim Cox, the Coe-Brown co-coach with Brent Tkaczyk. "We're ahead of schedule on the boys' side and right on schedule on the girls. It's good stuff. . . . But we're not ready for championship season yet."
Autumn Eastman, a senior out of Champlain Valley High School in Hinesburg, Vt., won the elite race in a time of 17:50 and Maegan Doody, a sophomore out of Oyster River in Durham, finished second in 18:35.
Winnacunnet of Hampton senior Justin Trott won the boys large school race in 16:06 and Chris Skelly of North Middlesex in Massachusetts was next in 16:12. Exeter sophomore Justin Carbone was third in 16:16, Bedford senior Tristam Winship was fourth in 16:26 and Manchester Central junior Abram Gagnon was one second back in fifth.
Hollis/Brookline senior Emma Newton won the girls large school race in 18:55, Katherine Cook of South Burlington, Vt., was runner-up and Exeter junior Shannon Murdock was third.
"Obviously they're the top team in New Hampshire," he said. "They're in a class by themselves."
Danis said she loves the way she and Parker and the rest of the Bears work together.
"There was a girl in red in front of me and one of the coaches was yelling to get the girl in red," Danis said with a smile. "It felt good to pass her. At least it felt as good as it gets going uphill."
"This is just phenomenal," Cox said. "I think there are like 136 teams here. What other sport competes with 136 teams in a span of six hours? This is a great day for people who love our sport."
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Tuesday's Mega Millions jackpot now at $585 million - 0
- New Hampshire's homeless remembered in Laconia vigil - 0
- Parents share what makes Abigail a special girl - 1
- Abigail's mother speaks of hope on ABC's Good Morning America - 0
- South Africa's Nelson Mandela dies at 95 - 3
- Suicide bomber, gunmen kill 52 in Yemen - 0
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 10
- Charitable organizations raise money, and lift spirits with Christmas tree sales - 0
- Holiday edition reminder to our readers - 1
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Hollis school officials call police on Santa Claus - 0
- Rusty water in Manchester caused by water main break in Bedford - 0
- Forecasters eye possible weekend ice storm - 0
- Fugitive caught hiding under bed in Jaffrey - 0
- Target says data security breach may affect 40 million cards - 0
- Nashua man held in home invasion - 0
- Fugitive of the week: James Porter - 0
- Quick thinking closes the door on Somersworth fire - 0
- Milford fatal crash remains under investigation - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child
Hooksett confident contract to send students to Pinkerton doesn't violate Manchester settlement
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840