Granite State bicycle rules at a glance
. Before entering the roadway, yield the right of way to approaching traffic.. A bicyclist traveling at less than normal traffic speed shall remain on the right side as far as possible except when unsafe to do so.
. Don't cross the stop line when the traffic signal is red.
. Stop for pedestrians in a crosswalk without traffic signals, and don't pass vehicles stopped at a crosswalk. . In preparing to turn left, do so from the farthest left lane available.
. Don't ride the wrong way on a one-way street.
. Any bicyclist shall stop upon demand of a peace officer and permit his bicycle to be inspected. A bicyclist must wear at least one item of reflective apparel such as a reflective vest, jacket, or helmet from a half hour after sunset to a half hour before sunrise. When bicycling after dark, you also must use a white front headlight and a red rear light or rear reflector visible for 300 feet.. Ride on the right side of the road, with the flow of traffic.
. A motorist may overtake a bicycle only if it is safe to do so. Change lanes to pass if you can't pass safely in the same lane. Leave plenty of room and pass at a safe speed. Do not cross the center line if you can't see the road a sufficient distance to know that there are no oncoming vehicles. You are responsible for using due care to avoid colliding with a bicyclist. Don't take unnecessary risks for the sake of convenience.. When passing a bicycle, leave a reasonable and prudent distance. That should be at least 3 feet when the vehicle is traveling at 30 miles per hour or less and one extra foot for every 10 mph over 30.. If you think a bicyclist is farther out from the curb than necessary, look closely. Bicyclists need to ride at least a door's width away from parked cars to avoid being hit by a suddenly opening door. Bicyclists also need to allow room to avoid potholes and debris and to pass double-parked cars.. Bicyclists may occupy any part of a traffic lane when their safety warrants it. If the lane is too narrow to share, it is safer for the bicyclist to communicate that information by riding in the center of the lane.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Former Manchester school chief Tom Brennan dies a year after he retired - 6
- Speedway, NH casino called a natural fit, track's GM says - 8
- Federal data shows which doctors reap Medicare millions - 3
- Privacy foremost at hearing on NH bill to restrict government spying, commercial use of drones - 18
- Six months later, Abigail's disappearance still a mystery - 1
- Retired judge reprimanded, told remarks were sexist - 5
- Judge issues no ruling on county attorney's suspension - 4
- Retired judge reprimanded for sexist remarks - 0
- Manchester officer cleared in domestic assault is subject of probe - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester superintendent kills controversial redistricting plan - 0
- Sen. Odell won't seek re-election - 0
- Another View -- Marilinda Garcia: Ann Kuster loves Obamacare but won't pay for it - 11
- 2 officers, Weare face civil suit over 2012 burglary arrest - 22
- Roger Brown's Diamond Notes: Central the early surprise in baseball ranks - 0
- Death & justice: Officer Briggs is not forgotten - 3
- Decency displayed: Havenstein's nice start - 7
- P-Bruins in fight to finish - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Dubois' homer lifts BG girls over Exeter - 0
Portsmouth arrests 2 for heroin sales
Decency displayed: Havenstein's nice start
Manchester superintendent kills controversial redistricting plan following parental opposition
Sen. Odell won't seek re-election