Home » News » Public Safety
Officials discuss scope of weapons policy in Salem schools
The major changes in the policy include the title change from “Weapons in the Schools” to “Weapons on School Property” and the establishment of a mandatory one-year expulsion for any student who brings a gun to school, according to Superintendent Michael Delahanty.
School board member Michael Carney noted that there are fundraisers and other events held at locations where, under state law, people are allowed to carry firearms provided they are properly licensed.
“We have to be careful what we do with this,” said Morgan. “I would assume that state law would trump school district policy. If it is a school-sponsored activity, we don’t want you to bring weapons. I’m not sure how we can resolve that.”
“I would argue that if a student goes to a (restaurant) for a school-sponsored fundraiser, our expectation is that the student is not expected to have a weapon, period, end of story,” said Campbell.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Lost Massachusetts hikers found safe in NH - 0
- City police schedule community meeting - 1
- Missing Massachusetts woman returns home - 0
- Nashua man's condition upgraded after Hudson bicycle-car collision - 0
- Missing autistic Maine teen found in Jefferson woods - 0
- Nashua bicyclist hurt in collision with car - 0
- Three injured in Route 16 accident in Ossipee - 0
- State fire marshal urges eventual ban on all fireworks - 23
- Manchester welcomes 14 new police recruits - 7
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Speeding stop leads to drug and alcohol charges in Hollis - 0
- Allen Lessels on Motor Sports: Youngsters eye NHMS - 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Manchester's bike culture shifts into high gear - 0
- Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing? - 1
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Red Sox makeover underway - 1
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: MacDonald has NHMS track experience - 0
- Drew Cline: Scott Brown plans to win over NH one handshake at a time - 7
- Anthony M. Kay - 0
- Walsh paces Sweeney Post past Laconia - 0
132-mph street racers blow by trooper in Nashua, one of two arrested; motorcyclist arrested on I-93 doing 107 mph
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Mount Washington College to close 2 campuses
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing?