NHIAA Football: Third downs key as Bedford downs resolute Salem
The Blue Devils defense pressured Colella all game, making things hard on first and second downs. But Colella hit his targets on third down to keep drives alive.
Two of Coella’s favorite targets were Nick Vailas, who caught touchdowns of 10 and 9 yards in the first half, and cousin Mike Vailas, who had touchdown catches of 24 and 34 yards.
The Bulldogs didn’t score but another Salem fumble on a punt was recovered by Bedford and turned into a touchdown drive capped by a 10-yard pass to Nick Vailas.
Coella then hit Michael Vailas for a 24-yard touchdown to make it 16-0, and followed that with a nine-yard strike to Nick Vailas as the half ended 23-0.
Bedford coach Kurt Hines called the Blue Devils a “very good 0-4 team.” They have a great defensive line, they threw all kinds of stunts at us.” said Hines.
Salem quarterback John Cerretani went 8-of-12 for 66 yards with two second-half interceptions. Jason Martinez led the Blue Devils with 65 yards on 17 carries.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- John Dumais: How GMO food labeling would hurt New Hampshire - 2
- George Will: Obama's epiphanies about governing - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Liberals are culture war aggressors - 2
- Bruce Berke: A minimum wage hike would hurt NH's young people - 41
- Patrick J. Buchanan: Does the future belong to Asia? - 0
- David Harsanyi : What the Pope gets wrong about capitalism - 5
- Bob Witkop: Obama is not the only one to blame for Obamacare - 28
- Jonah Goldberg: Coming to grips with the rise of the machines - 5
- George Will: The choices we have on Iran - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dartmouth skaters dealt another close loss - 0
- Gaming authority offers regulatory structure - 0
- Portsmouth man gets prison for sex assault of disabled woman - 0
- Wolfeboro nursing home evacuated after minor chemical spill - 0
- Dover woman admits to bank robberies in two states - 0
- Motorists injured in two car collision on Route 9, Spofford - 0
- Arrest made in attempted robbery of Littleton gas station - 0
- Ex-Littleton man sentenced to prison for DWI crash - 0
- Greenfield planners seek input on Heritage District plan proposal - 0
Symphony NH plans pair of holiday events
Driver was trying to kill himself
NH reps eyeing budget deal
Decision to tap F&G habitat fund explained
A chief walks: No charges in New London
Big tipper stops for lunch