NHIAA Football: Third downs key as Bedford downs resolute Salem
The Blue Devils defense pressured Colella all game, making things hard on first and second downs. But Colella hit his targets on third down to keep drives alive.
Two of Coella’s favorite targets were Nick Vailas, who caught touchdowns of 10 and 9 yards in the first half, and cousin Mike Vailas, who had touchdown catches of 24 and 34 yards.
The Bulldogs didn’t score but another Salem fumble on a punt was recovered by Bedford and turned into a touchdown drive capped by a 10-yard pass to Nick Vailas.
Coella then hit Michael Vailas for a 24-yard touchdown to make it 16-0, and followed that with a nine-yard strike to Nick Vailas as the half ended 23-0.
Bedford coach Kurt Hines called the Blue Devils a “very good 0-4 team.” They have a great defensive line, they threw all kinds of stunts at us.” said Hines.
Salem quarterback John Cerretani went 8-of-12 for 66 yards with two second-half interceptions. Jason Martinez led the Blue Devils with 65 yards on 17 carries.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Indoor track results - 0
- Central-Trinity: It's time - 2
- Trinity, BG skaters open with victories - 0
- Central vs. Trinity: 'competition, not warfare' - 5
- NHIAA preview: Boys' ice hockey races appear to be wide open - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Windham boys prevail in hoop opener - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball Preview: Top dogs still have lots of bite - 1
- NHIAA Roundup: Bow's balance too much for Kearsarge - 0
- Rich won’t return to coach Londonderry football - 1
- Propane truck overturns on Bow side street - 0
- NH makes tort reform group's 'Judicial Hellholes' list - 4
- Manchester's O'Neill, Lebanon's Morrill form UNH's 'Granite Wall' - 0
- UPDATE: Stretch of I-293 South, North lanes reopen after propane tanker crashes - 1
- $13m contract recommended for next phase of Nashua parkway - 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Proposed article sets rules for use of temporary signs - 0
- Newsreel: State unemployment stable; Gates Foundation CEO named; generic Viagra out soon - 0
- Leclerc takes second place in men's hockey - 0