NHIAA Football: Third downs key as Bedford downs resolute Salem
The Blue Devils defense pressured Colella all game, making things hard on first and second downs. But Colella hit his targets on third down to keep drives alive.
Two of Coella’s favorite targets were Nick Vailas, who caught touchdowns of 10 and 9 yards in the first half, and cousin Mike Vailas, who had touchdown catches of 24 and 34 yards.
The Bulldogs didn’t score but another Salem fumble on a punt was recovered by Bedford and turned into a touchdown drive capped by a 10-yard pass to Nick Vailas.
Coella then hit Michael Vailas for a 24-yard touchdown to make it 16-0, and followed that with a nine-yard strike to Nick Vailas as the half ended 23-0.
Bedford coach Kurt Hines called the Blue Devils a “very good 0-4 team.” They have a great defensive line, they threw all kinds of stunts at us.” said Hines.
Salem quarterback John Cerretani went 8-of-12 for 66 yards with two second-half interceptions. Jason Martinez led the Blue Devils with 65 yards on 17 carries.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Reports: Yankees get Red Sox Jacoby Ellsbury - 0
- Vin Sylvia: Making the case for Carpenter - 0
- Vin Sylvia: Newly retired Chris Carpenter planning to move back to NH - 0
- Gomes hopes Red Sox retain all their free agents - 0
- Carpenter lauded as one of Cardinals' all-time greats - 1
- Amherst's Huntington runner-up to Cherington - 0
- Cherington garners Executive of the Year - 0
- Red Sox extend offers to Elsbury, Napoli and Drew - 0
- Dave D'Donofrio's Sox Beat: Redemption Sox - 0
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Hollis school officials call police on Santa Claus - 0
- Rusty water in Manchester caused by water main break in Bedford - 0
- Forecasters eye possible weekend ice storm - 0
- Abigail's mother issues plea for Christmas return - 1
- Fugitive caught hiding under bed in Jaffrey - 0
- Target says data security breach may affect 40 million cards - 0
- Nashua man held in home invasion - 0
- Fugitive of the week: James Porter - 0
- Quick thinking closes the door on Somersworth fire - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child
Hooksett confident contract to send students to Pinkerton doesn't violate Manchester settlement