Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Sox pound O's, inch closer to AL best record
This win moved Boston (97-63) one step closer to locking up home-field advantage throughout the American League playoffs. One more Red Sox victory or Oakland loss clinches the top spot for Boston. Oakland played late Friday night at Seattle.
Boston showed plenty of power, finishing with three homers that brought in seven of its 12 runs. The Red Sox also ended up with 16 hits.
Red Sox starter Clay Buchholz was looking to rebound after suffering his first loss of the season in his last start, and that big first inning gave the right-hander a comfortable lead before throwing a pitch.
The Red Sox took command with a five-run first inning against Orioles starter Scott Feldman (5-6). Dustin Pedroia and Ortiz started the inning with back-to-back, one-out singles before Mike Napoli’s RBI double gave the Red Sox a 1-0 edge.
Feldman ran into more trouble in the third, giving up an RBI double to Jarrod Saltalamacchia. The hit was originally ruled a three-run homer, but after video review, the umpires changed it to an RBI double. That gave Boston a 6-0 lead and ended Feldman’s night.
Zach Britton took over for Feldman, and Drew greeted him with a two-run single for an 8-0 lead.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Reports: Yankees get Red Sox Jacoby Ellsbury - 0
- Vin Sylvia: Making the case for Carpenter - 0
- Vin Sylvia: Newly retired Chris Carpenter planning to move back to NH - 0
- Gomes hopes Red Sox retain all their free agents - 0
- Carpenter lauded as one of Cardinals' all-time greats - 1
- Amherst's Huntington runner-up to Cherington - 0
- Cherington garners Executive of the Year - 0
- Red Sox extend offers to Elsbury, Napoli and Drew - 0
- Dave D'Donofrio's Sox Beat: Redemption Sox - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 0
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- AG eyes whether credibility issue may undermine some Rockingham County convictions - 0
Police say man attacked woman with sword
The Music Hall presents 'Messiah Sing'