Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Middlebrooks drives in 7 as Red Sox romp over Rockies
Shane Victorino added a three-run shot while Jarrod Saltalamacchia also drove in three runs for the Red Sox, who increased their lead over Oakland to two games for the best record in the American League. Jake Peavy (12-5) improved to 3-0 over his last seven starts after allowing five runs and eight hits in six innings.
Helton, who was honored in a pregame ceremony and received a standing ovation prior to each at-bat, hit a solo home run in the first inning and finished 2-for-3 with three RBIs. Michael Cuddyer went 1-for-3 and is hitting .335, 10 points ahead of Atlanta's Chris Johnson in the National League batting title race.
The Red Sox took a 3-0 lead in the first inning when David Ortiz hit a two-run double to right and scored on Saltalamacchia's two-out single. The Rockies tied it 4-4 with two runs in the third as Helton hit a sacrifice fly and Nolan Arenado followed with a ground-rule double.
Peavy doubled with one out and, after Jacoby Ellsbury walked, Victorino homered off Jhoulys Chacin (14-10), who allowed seven runs and nine hits in four innings. Middlebrooks took Rob Scahill deep with a three-run shot to give Boston a 10-4 lead in the fifth and his grand slam off Roy Oswalt made it 15-5 in the eighth.
GAME NOTEBOOK: Ellsbury, who hasn't played since Sept. 5 because of a foot injury, went 1-for-2 with a walk and scored twice before being replaced by Jackie Bradley Jr. in the fourth inning. ... The Red Sox haven't lost in their last 12 interleague series (9-0-3). ... Helton, a career .317 hitter, finishes with a .345 average at Coors Field while hitting 227 of his 365 career homers and 321 of his 592 doubles there.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Life isn't what it used to be for ER worker injured in attack involving mentally ill man - 1
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: A sewer for the century - 0
- Manchester aims to end junk king's reign - 11
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Manchester slow to get the lead out - 5
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: These players got game – for foosball - 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Reclaiming Manchester's parks - 3
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Doing the work, making a difference - 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: A simple man wills $176k to 5 city charities - 1
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: No surprise, city columnist likes ManchVegas schools - 16
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hudson man facing DWI charge after crash - 0
- Minimum wage rally at South Willow McDonald's - 4
- Frisbie hospital seeks hearing on network exclusion, information denial - 0
- Ayotte praised over attempt to change broadband funding - 0
- Pats prepare for Browns' bag of 'tricks' - 0
- Believe it: Celtics are in first - 0
- Vonn finishes training run, mulls entering Friday's race - 0
- Windham teachers' contract in mediation - 0
- College Roundup: Springfield shoots SNHU past FPU - 0
Dingman: Parole me for murder of parents
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to be in Londonderry tonight, says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans