John Stossel: It's either innovation or stagnation
3D printers now allow you to mold objects right in your living room, using patterns you find online. It's a revolutionary invention that will save time, reduce shipping costs and be kind to the earth.
On TV, Rachel Maddow sneered about "a well-armed anarchist utopia, where everybody fends for themselves with stupid-looking plastic guns. ... It's a political effort to try to do away with government."
Technological innovation constantly threatens centralized authorities.
"Smash the Internet!" said a cover story in the conservative magazine Weekly Standard, illustrated with a sledgehammer smashing a computer screen.
"The Internet Is Making Kids Stupid" says PC Magazine. CBS's Bob Schieffer whines that in the absence of supervising editors, "ignorance travels as rapidly as great ideas."
It's not a few people desiring guns that I fear. It's government getting in the way of all those new possibilities.
READER COMMENTS: 12
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Turkeys make Valley Cemetery their 'resting' place - 1
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: A man of the streets helped set up a haven for those who need it most - 1
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Life isn't what it used to be for ER worker injured in attack involving mentally ill man - 1
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: A sewer for the century - 0
- Manchester aims to end junk king's reign - 11
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Manchester slow to get the lead out - 5
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: These players got game – for foosball - 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Reclaiming Manchester's parks - 3
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Doing the work, making a difference - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sabres pull away from Bruins - 0
- Bishop Guertin boys top Salem in OT - 0
- Wildcats will need to contend with Fargodome noise - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Kicking game could play crucial role for UNH - 0
- State settles $24.5M lawsuit to force help for mentally ill - 0
- Groton Wind turbines slated to start turning again shortly - 0
- Judicial, PUC appointments before Executive Council - 0
- Hooksett man convicted in fatal boating accident - 0
- Man awarded $250K in sexual assault at medical center - 0
Ice storm threatens the region
Beltran, Yankees make it official
Gun-rights rally against Scott Brown gets rejection from city of Nashua; protesters say event will go on
Al Baldasaro may run for U.S. Senate
'Nutcracker' at Stockbridge
Plymouth hosts hearing on bill for tougher scrutiny of power projects such as Northern Pass