Home » News » Public Safety
Fisherman dies in Connecticut River at Colebrook
According to state Fish and Game, John Cornish, 71, of Salem, Mass., was launching his boat with a friend about 10 a.m. at the Arlin Brook Access.
The boat began to drift downriver and Cornish, in hip-waders, waded into the water to retrieve the boat. As he did, investigators said he lost his footing, fell and began to swim after the boat.
Tragically, he soon lost consciousness and was pulled from the river by his friend.
Emergency response crews arrived and attempted lifesaving measures. Cornish was taken by ambulance to the Upper Connecticut Valley Hospital where he was pronounced dead.
Responding agencies included Colebrook Fire and Rescue, 45th Parallel EMS, Colebrook Police Department, New Hampshire State Police, and N.H. Fish and Game conservation officers.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Missing since October, Abby Hernandez is home - 5
- Keene police continue pedestrian collision investigation - 0
- State bomb squad explodes suspicious package in Salem parking lot - 0
- Bodies of downed plane's passengers leave Ukraine crash site for return to Netherlands - 0
- 30-year-old man found dead in Laconia apartment - 0
- AG: Missing Conway teen Abigail Hernandez reunited with family - 10
- Maine man hurt in ATV accident in northern NH - 0
- Police say North Country motor vehicle deaths down - 0
- Hiker rescued from Mount Washington - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Only a freshman, Kennedy excelled on the track - 0
- Looking Back With Aurore Eaton: The Manchester Opera House makes its stunning debut - 0
- Another View -- John Dumais: Mandatory GMO labeling is all cost, no benefit - 0
- What’s the rush? Executive Council follows Pelosi plan - 0
- On Baseball: Fisher Cats prove point - 0
- Evan Turner, Celtics see upside in new deal - 0
- Thunder take two from Fisher Cats - 0
- Ortiz, Drew (4 RBIs each) lead Red Sox hit parade against Blue Jays - 0
- Nashua settles suit over gas collection system - 0
Market Basket workers urged to 'shut it down'; deposed CEO urges fired workers be given jobs back
Shaheen's record: On insurance, it is dismal
Anti-SUV flop: Americans love utility
U.S. appeals courts issue conflicting rulings on Obamacare exchange subsidies such as NH's