Home » News » Public Safety
Fisherman dies in Connecticut River at Colebrook
According to state Fish and Game, John Cornish, 71, of Salem, Mass., was launching his boat with a friend about 10 a.m. at the Arlin Brook Access.
The boat began to drift downriver and Cornish, in hip-waders, waded into the water to retrieve the boat. As he did, investigators said he lost his footing, fell and began to swim after the boat.
Tragically, he soon lost consciousness and was pulled from the river by his friend.
Emergency response crews arrived and attempted lifesaving measures. Cornish was taken by ambulance to the Upper Connecticut Valley Hospital where he was pronounced dead.
Responding agencies included Colebrook Fire and Rescue, 45th Parallel EMS, Colebrook Police Department, New Hampshire State Police, and N.H. Fish and Game conservation officers.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Teen driver dies after being pulled from icy waters in Londonderry - 8
- Trio escapes Claremont fire after smoke wakes resident - 0
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries in Little Cohas Brook crash - 0
- Tractor-trailer pulls down poles, wires, closing part of Route 28 in Epsom - 0
- Commission honors seven for contributions to state firefighter training - 0
- Lost hikers found safe in Gilsum - 1
- Woman thrown from horse, injured - 0
- Stove ash blamed for Manchester garage fire - 0
- Derry Battalion Chief calls firefighter son a 'hero' for rescuing two boys from Hood Pond - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Franklin man and woman arraigned for attempted prostitution of minor - 0
- Rymes is ready to roll following Fred Fuller purchase - 0
- Police investigating death of 3-year-old girl in Nashua - 7
- Police say hit-and-run driver was observed tossing beer cans from car - 0
- City championship on the line Thanksgiving Day - 1
- Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket - 6
- On being American: A point for reflection - 2
- Charles Arlinghaus: 'Tis the season for budget games and gimmicks - 0
- Rymes takes over for Fuller, deliveries start Wednesday - 1
Manchester school exec contract squeaks by
Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass.
Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket
On being American: A point for reflection