Home » News » Public Safety
Fisherman dies in Connecticut River at Colebrook
According to state Fish and Game, John Cornish, 71, of Salem, Mass., was launching his boat with a friend about 10 a.m. at the Arlin Brook Access.
The boat began to drift downriver and Cornish, in hip-waders, waded into the water to retrieve the boat. As he did, investigators said he lost his footing, fell and began to swim after the boat.
Tragically, he soon lost consciousness and was pulled from the river by his friend.
Emergency response crews arrived and attempted lifesaving measures. Cornish was taken by ambulance to the Upper Connecticut Valley Hospital where he was pronounced dead.
Responding agencies included Colebrook Fire and Rescue, 45th Parallel EMS, Colebrook Police Department, New Hampshire State Police, and N.H. Fish and Game conservation officers.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Londonderry family fair returns but child safety is still the theme - 0
- Girl, grandmother escape fire in Rochester home with no detectors - 0
- Motorcyclist in serious condition after crash in Rochester - 0
- Manchester police officers to be honored for work in unresolved West Side stabbing death - 5
- Authorities say smoking ignited oxygen in Derry apartment building fire - 1
- Motorcyclist flown to Maine hospital following crash on Route 125 - 0
- Londonderry police to open station to residents - 0
- Affair, threats alleged in Weare police chief investigation - 11
- Cause of 3-alarm Derry fire remains under investigation - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester family heartbroken after finding lost kitten was adopted from shelter, family refuses to return it - 0
- Body found under Manchester bridge identified as local woman - 0
- Chester deputy fire chief jailed for allegedly violating restraining order - 0
- Manchester police release photos of men they believe robbed mother, daughters at local Holiday Inn - 0
- Scots spurn independence, vote to stay in the United Kingdom - 1
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Answers forthcoming - 0
- NHMS chief Gappens is on board with the Chase changes - 0
- Another View -- Ben Rose: How NH's John Stark helped defeat the British at Saratoga - 1
- Celebrating Claremont: A 250th birthday party - 0
Manchester police release photos of men they believe robbed mother, daughters at local Holiday Inn
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too
Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over
Ayotte pushes bill to combat 'spice'