Attorney General eyes elderly Portsmouth woman's bequest to police officer
Last year, Webber made Portsmouth police Sgt. Aaron Goodwin the primary benefactor to her estate, which includes a waterfront home on Sagamore Creek and a variety of other assets. The change cut out or reduced inheritances for several other heirs, which include charitable organizations, the city of Portsmouth’s police and fire departments and a Massachusetts high school.
Jim Ritzo, Webber’s lawyer for nearly 25 years, became the first to challenge the will earlier this year, suggesting that Goodwin asserted undue influence over his former client.
“Aaron Goodwin did, by reporting the situation to the proper authorities, aid Geraldine W. Webber in preventing her former attorney from maintaining control over (her) against her will during her life under a power of attorney,” Doleac said in the court motion.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 34
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Fleeing hostile states: Gun makers will travel - 12
- Voting in NH: Not just for NH residents - 28
- Protesting information: Picket sign o' the times - 6
- Seabrook's message: No one above the law here - 3
- 'Economic patriotism'; tax rates and border jumpers - 6
- Do the job, leave; a NH candidate makes sense - 7
- Faith and freedom; a near-martyr comes to NH - 5
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Patriots Notebook: Physical Browner brings it - 0
- Heroes all? A word cheapened by overuse - 2
- City Matters: Market Basket workers' outlook challenges the skeptics among us - 1
- George Will: A conservative internationalism - 0
- Sox Beat: Red Sox haven't made a deal for Lester — yet - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: The Democrats' cynical impeachment play - 0
- Drew Cline: Home is where the really competent governing is done - 1
- Two GOP heavyweights try to get NH fired up about 2014 elections - 0
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Stergios family has busy racing season - 0
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Heroes all? A word cheapened by overuse
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Market Basket workers' outlook challenges the skeptics among us
Punch line: The NFL blows it
Havenstein says he has always opposed Obamacare, though company he led was paid to implement parts of it
George Will: A conservative internationalism