Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Rockies roll over Red Sox
Charlie Blackmon, Troy Tulowitzki and Corey Dickerson homered off Boston starter John Lackey and slow the Red Sox's bid to earn home-field advantage in the American League playoffs.
Chatwood (8-5) allowed three hits over seven innings to earn his first win since July 26 as the Rockies improved to 45-35 at home. Michael Cuddyer had two hits and two RBIs and DJ LeMahieu added a two-run single for Colorado, which broke the game open with four runs in the seventh.
Lackey (10-13) gave up four runs on six hits in as many innings to fall to 17-10 lifetime in interleague play. Jarrod Saltalamacchia hit a two-run homer in the ninth for Boston, which leads Oakland by a half-game for the best record in the AL.
The Rockies jumped on Lackey when Blackmon led off the bottom of the first with a homer to extend his hitting streak to nine games. Cuddyer doubled and scored on Todd Helton's single later in the inning before Tulowitzki went deep in the fourth and Dickerson belted a shot in the fifth for a 4-0 edge.
GAME NOTEBOOK: Helton's first-inning run-scoring single was his 1,403 career RBI, tying him with Juan Gonzalez for 62nd place on the all-time list. ... Red Sox CF Jacoby Ellsbury, sidelined since Sept. 6 with a fracture of the navicular bone in his right foot, is scheduled to return to the starting lineup on Wednesday. 1B Mike Napoli (plantar fasciitis) sat out his third straight game but is also expected back Wednesday. ... Cuddyer's two hits boosted his National League-leading batting average to .335.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Girls' Basketball: Title defenders are also contenders - 0
- Hanover’s Grabill named top regional soccer coach - 0
- Londonderry's Aliza Simpson chooses UNH for basketball - 0
- H.S. Football: Knight leads South past North - 0
- H.S. Football: Trinity, with all the trimmings, runs past Central - 3
- Unchained following 34 years, Thursday's Turkey Bowl is Paul Boucher's last game - 1
- Roger Brown's First & 10: Motivation aplenty for Central and Trinity in Manchester's annual Turkey Bowl - 3
- Martinez, Rodriguez lift Salem past Lawrence - 0
- Roger Brown's First & 10: On any given Thursday - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dartmouth skaters dealt another close loss - 0
- Gaming authority offers regulatory structure - 0
- Portsmouth man gets prison for sex assault of disabled woman - 0
- Wolfeboro nursing home evacuated after minor chemical spill - 0
- Dover woman admits to bank robberies in two states - 0
- Motorists injured in two car collision on Route 9, Spofford - 0
- Arrest made in attempted robbery of Littleton gas station - 0
- Ex-Littleton man sentenced to prison for DWI crash - 0
- Greenfield planners seek input on Heritage District plan proposal - 0
Symphony NH plans pair of holiday events
Driver was trying to kill himself
NH reps eyeing budget deal
Budget gets House OK, heads to Senate
Decision to tap F&G habitat fund explained
A chief walks: No charges in New London
Big tipper stops for lunch