Tensions high at latest Northern Pass hearing in Plymouth
The hearing turned nasty at times, as passionate speakers on both sides of the issue were cheered and heckled by crowd members at Plymouth State University’s Hanaway Theater.
But the board flatly opposes the project, he said, because “the project is all cost with few if any savings.”
The crowd loudly applauded opponents of the plan, and a few of those favoring Northern Pass, including several speakers from Franklin, a primary beneficiary of the project because of a proposed electrical converter station to be built in that city, also drew mild applause.
Shakir called those opposing Northern Pass “subversives,” saying Northern Pass would provide New Hampshire and New England with a needed reinforcement of the reliability and integrity of the region’s power systems.
Opponents of Northern Pass booed and laughed as Shakir finished speaking and returned to his seat.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Rich won’t return to coach Londonderry football - 1
- Girls' Basketball: Title defenders are also contenders - 0
- Hanover’s Grabill named top regional soccer coach - 0
- Londonderry's Aliza Simpson chooses UNH for basketball - 0
- H.S. Football: Knight leads South past North - 0
- H.S. Football: Trinity, with all the trimmings, runs past Central - 3
- Unchained following 34 years, Thursday's Turkey Bowl is Paul Boucher's last game - 1
- Roger Brown's First & 10: Motivation aplenty for Central and Trinity in Manchester's annual Turkey Bowl - 3
- Martinez, Rodriguez lift Salem past Lawrence - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Teen injured in pedestrian/car collision in Hudson - 0
- Manchester police recover shell casings in gunfire incident on Taylor Street - 1
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball Preview: Top dogs still have lots of bite - 1
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Wildcats have come a long way - 0
- Another weekend, another three games for Monarchs - 0
- Another View -- Mark S. MacKenzie: Raising minimum wage would lift NH families out of poverty - 3
- Pray for safety: The state did not provide it - 2
- Big league gambling: AG makes right call on casinos - 1
- Students add their special touch to Christmas - 0
Hooksett man arrested on assault charges
Driver was trying to kill himself
Budget gets House OK, heads to Senate
NH reps eyeing budget deal
Decision to tap F&G habitat fund explained