Tensions high at latest Northern Pass hearing in Plymouth
The hearing turned nasty at times, as passionate speakers on both sides of the issue were cheered and heckled by crowd members at Plymouth State University’s Hanaway Theater.
But the board flatly opposes the project, he said, because “the project is all cost with few if any savings.”
The crowd loudly applauded opponents of the plan, and a few of those favoring Northern Pass, including several speakers from Franklin, a primary beneficiary of the project because of a proposed electrical converter station to be built in that city, also drew mild applause.
Shakir called those opposing Northern Pass “subversives,” saying Northern Pass would provide New Hampshire and New England with a needed reinforcement of the reliability and integrity of the region’s power systems.
Opponents of Northern Pass booed and laughed as Shakir finished speaking and returned to his seat.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View - Betsy McCaughey: The Obamacare horror stories are not lies - 9
- Thomas Sowell: Freedom is not free; you've got to fight for it - 1
- Michael C. Whitney: A small gas tax hike would be good for business - 7
- Jonah Goldberg: In the case of My Brother's Keeper, race does, and should, matter - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: The NH Senate's Medicaid trap - 0
- Rep. William Butynski: A casino gambling plan that works for NH - 3
- George Will: Misreading Putin, and history - 4
- Rep. Kenneth Fredette: NH should avoid Maine’s Medicaid mistake - 5
- David Harsanyi: Social conservatives would benefit by embracing libertarianism - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball: Merrimack survives scare - 0
- NHIAA Tournament Roundup: Central breaks away from Exeter - 0
- College Hockey: Dartmouth drops tournament opener - 0
- FEMA OKs $8m for repairs in Lincoln, Lebanon - 0
- Official says Manchester lost out on $1.5m for cell tower court has now ordered built - 5
- John Habib's City Sports: Derryfield's 'Mouse' made his mark - 1
- Rondo leads Celtics past Nets - 0
- Hats off to O'Neill, Monarchs - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball: Maughn, Memorial top Londonderry - 0
Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief