Derry school district tackles school crowding
And at Grinnell Elementary, plans are moving along to add a third fifth-grade class and hire an additional teacher, said Superintendent Laura Nelson.
Of Barka’s four fifth-grade classrooms, three have 27 students and one has 25 students. The school district recommends that a fifth-grade classroom not exceed 25 students, Nelson said.
“The teachers felt valued,” LaFleur said.
It was agreed that it would be too disruptive to pull students out of the classes and move them into a fifth classroom. The current teachers work in teams of two per classroom and adding a fifth teacher would have created an odd number of teachers and disrupted the bonding between teachers and students.
It was agreed that it would be better to add a paraprofessional who could assist the teachers and enhance the educational process, LaFleur said.
“We’ve were able to bring someone on board last week, and it’s been very successful,” LaFleur said.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- 'Economic patriotism'; tax rates and border jumpers - 2
- Do the job, leave; a NH candidate makes sense - 6
- Faith and freedom; a near-martyr comes to NH - 5
- Innis with terrorists? A low blow from Guinta - 2
- Basket case: Saga of a supermarket - 12
- Ryan Pitts: Reluctant hero - 0
- Relief and questions: Abby Hernandez returns home - 0
- Insanity: Obamacare and the rule of law - 61
- What’s the rush? Executive Council follows Pelosi plan - 3
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Jailed man faces new charge for allegedly contacting witness - 0
- Abby says it's incredible to be home; mom tells TODAY daughter did not run away - 3
- Nashua man arrested in Brookline stabbing - 0
- Cumberland Farms robbed; third store hit this month in Rochester - 0
- E-cigarettes find a market in NH - 0
- Real estate transfer tax proposal pulled off table - 0
- Protesting information: Picket sign o' the times - 1
- Another View -- Mike Biundo: Where is Shaheen's gas price outrage now? - 4
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: A humbling — and inspiring — event - 0
Protesting workers nix Market Basket amnesty
Win tickets to see Cher's D2K Tour
E-cigarettes find a market in NH
Gorham man arrested for kidnapping Abigail
Voting in NH: Not just for NH residents
LNG plant put 'on hold'